Ground wire's?

AzZo

Hey guys I recently took off heat shields to look at the condition of my manifold bolts and there are these ground wires but not round wires they are flat and connect to the heat shield bolts both of which broke off upon loosening.I can live without the heat shields it really doesnt get that hot but how important are those grounds one on both side's of motor.And whats with the black negative battery cable its two pieces that are split with a portion bolted to the wheel well cause that bolt is also broken off.Can I buy one long black NEG. cable or is that separation a must have type of deal??? I know so many questions I really feel dumb at this point.But any and all response's welcome. :headwall:

The ground straps help, you can just bolt it to the valve cover. As far as the ground on the fender well goes, it's because most of the electronics are grounded on the body so a direct ground from the battery to the body is best.

Yep, like he said!

The ground needs to be to both body and engine, and then others from engine to harness and engine to body. Ground is important on these things to make sure all the electrical is happy. You can easily replace the smaller wires with a medium (heavy) gauge wire and crimp eye loop ends and bolt/screw as appropriate. If your main battery ground is compromised to the body/engine, that needs to be dealt with.

I hope to get to the local P&P this next week and can probably pull a stock one for you. PM and tell me what your $ limit is (we have to consider shipping) and when you need it by. Maybe I can help you out...

B

Yep, like he said!

The ground needs to be to both body and engine, and then others from engine to harness and engine to body. Ground is important on these things to make sure all the electrical is happy. You can easily replace the smaller wires with a medium (heavy) gauge wire and crimp eye loop ends and bolt/screw as appropriate. If your main battery ground is compromised to the body/engine, that needs to be dealt with.

I hope to get to the local P&P this next week and can probably pull a stock one for you. PM and tell me what your $ limit is (we have to consider shipping) and when you need it by. Maybe I can help you out...

B

Wow thanks man well I can do the heavy gauge wire with the I loops.But can the neg. battery be just one long one or does it have to be split like it is and bolted to the wheel well slash / fender I caused this my self I went to unbolt it and even with pb blaster it snapped off.I have a small bolt,washer and nut on it now but wondering if it is doing the same job as stock set up.Am I over thinking this? Jack.

as long as the ground is still connected to the inner fender than it will be fine, if you have to drill a new hole and nut and bolt it that would work too, may want to scrape the paint away from where ever you mount it too so it gets a better connection.

Ok I understand B and a hardbody it does need to be what I call double grounded to frame and body for electrical to be happy.I really appreciate all the imput as I am not as good with electric's.Thanks again,Jack.