Drivetrain Noises

Tungsten

I think I found it. Looks like the damn exhaust crossover is hitting on the frame again or possibly the mid-pipe where it gets close to the transmission bracket. I think I'm going to check the transmission mount again. It just happens every so often and it sounds like something is grinding but it's really just the pipe buzzing when the engine starts shaking around under load enough. I did have a tapping sound from the drive-train earlier too but that seems to have completely disappeared with new brake flex hoses. Now I did have some issues with the shifting and engine acting funny earlier but it rarely ever happens and I think it's just the knock sensor being triggered when the noise gets a little too loud. It wasn't happening before so I think it's just a mount getting a little loose.

Only two things will cause/allow that. Torque from the motor shifting it, and hence the exaust and/or simple thermal expansion of the pipe itself. Since you made the exhaust, it should be simple to trouble shoot and fix.

B

Haha!

I did make the exhaust! There is very little clearance for an aftermarket system let alone a stock one. The funny thing about thicker stainless steel material is it has a unique rattle sound. It does not sound anything like regular thin aluminized steel pipe rattle. Instead it sounds like a very muffled rattle. Almost like a woodpecker is stuck down there. I'm pretty sure it's hitting on some bracket down there by the Y-pipe.

You are correct on the thermal expansion of the pipe B. When the pipe is cold it has just enough clearance but as it expands it will touch something down there if the motor moves a little too much. Also, I checked the transmission and engine mounts just in case and they checked out fine.

No I did not trade my truck for a blue oval but I did buy one. More on that later...