p0340 and p0325 codes, Help!

nismotr

Hey everyone, yesterday I was making my drive from school to home, about 3.5 hours, and then my Qx4 starts pulsing rpms at about 3k, I limped it to an exit and got my buddy to pick me up with a car trailer. Once I got it home, I scanned for codes and got a laundry list, p0340, p0325, and a bunch of O2, egr, and other assorted fuel/air problems. Anyone have any insight? I know p0340 is a camshaft sensor and p0325 is a knock sensor, would replacing these help, or am I in for a world of headaches and empty pockets? Thanks!

Can you please post a list of all current engine codes?

Have you tried following the diagnostic procedure of steps 1, 2, and 5 for P0340 on page EC-273 of the factory service manual?

P0325 is more than likely just a symptom of the other codes and does not necessitate knock sensor replacement.

• Like 1

The p0340 and p0325 were the only codes lettered codes that it gave, I'm guessing the other 'codes' were symptoms that the scanner was reading off, appreciate the service manual link however.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, passing on a bit of info that may in fact make your time with the cam sensor a bit easier. I cant remember the thread or site i got this from but another person had a similar issue and replaced the cam pos sensor and same thing. they chased their tail for over a month on it. till they looked "inside" where the cam sensor goes. The way i read it, there are little valleys the cam sensor reads, well what happend to this poor dood is some "dirt" or something got into one of those valleys and it was causing the cam sensor to skip that valley while it was reading. he said he used a mirror to look into it and had someone else either bump the engine slowly or turn it with a breaker bar slowly and he just happend to see the dirt. popped it out with a dental pic and BAM worked like new again. soooooo hope im not too late. the Q's use coil packs dont they? ya number 1 likes to show his butt as well. ;P anyways hope i helped u out even a tiny smiget.

Have a good one and good luck with your pathy

PS my 1996 been throwin the Knock sensor since i bought it. "with or without the CEL" but point being on the 96's it stores it but wont actually throw a CEL for the knock sensor. Also if your cam pos sensor is messing up, or u have a lil gunk in the valley where it reads, heck it could of actually had a knock. AND if your going to have someone bump the engine over, remove the fire to the coil so you dont start it. "not sure if it will start without the cam sensor hooked up or w/e but ya just in case" wouldn't want ya getting hurt doin something i suggested, would be a very bad day.

Edited by fixinto

BTW guys just throwing it out there, i HIGHLY recommend a wireless OBD II reader i got from AMAZON, if you have a smart phone download an app called torque, it's free "there is a paid version as well" 5 bux unlocks some options. ANYWAYS, i paid 30 bones for the blue tooth OBD reader shipped and use the free torque app, and i have to say its probably one of the better investments i have made as a driveway mechanic. "throwin props to KYLE i believe his forum handle is

ferrariowner123 is where i heard about torque if I'm not mistaken" bout a year ago

Good bunch of folk here on the forums

Edited by fixinto

Turned out to be another distributor problem, second one I have replaced in the last 6 months, something must be wrong... But it turns out my Qx is eligible for recall and has a 1" hole in the frame, so I may not have this thing much longer.