Torque Converter?

SkiMachine

Hi everyone, just a quick question..:

My transmission oil is black, and I have no reverse. According to the FSM and other resources this means that I should replace my TC as part of the trany rebuild I'm planning. The only problem is, I can't seem to find this online (Rock Auto, Amazon, etc). A google search only brings up factory parts that are too expensive, or used parts that I'd rather not deal with. What's the deal here? Am I missing something obvious? Is there another name for a Torque Converter that I'm missing...?

Thanks

Edited by SkiMachine

Hmm, actually, one lists a 10.125" "bolt circle diameter", and the other lists a 9.000" "bolt pattern".. I might just call the manufactures directly on this one to confirm.

Edited by SkiMachine

I've checked three manufactures, and each specs something a bit different:

http://www.transtar1.com/catView.asp?ID=668

Model: DA16HD

Bolt Circle: 9"

Codes: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A7, A40, A43, A48

Pilot: .785" (.730" tall)

Splines: 20

http://www.kingomatic.com/documents/PK%20Torque%20Converter%20Catalog%20May%202011.pdf

Model: DA31

Bolt Cicle: 9.125"

Codes: A52, A59, A49, A53

Pilot: .785" (.730" tall)

- OR -

Model: DA36

Bolt Circle: 10.125"

Codes: A12, A13, A33, A47

Pilot: .785" (.625" long)

Interestingly these guys list a DA16HD as well for the 87-00 pathfinder, but for a FWD transmission which is obviously incorrect. It has the same specs as the TranStar unit.

Dacco:

Model: DA18

Bolt Circle: 9"

Codes: A3, A4, A7, A8, A10, A13, A18, A19, A22, A23, A25, A34, A39, A41, A44, A48

Pilot: .785" ( ? )

This is the only model DACCO has in the book for the 3.0L Pathfinder. Interestingly, they also have an entry for a a 1995 FWD Pathfinder (also the DA18)... Not confidence inspiring..

It looks like noone really knows for sure and they all contradict each other. I'll just have to wait until I get the transmission on the bench and see what's stamped on it. This would have been really nasty to figure out (if wrong) during the job since it wouldn't have been apparent until the tranny was back up in the truck. I'll be sure to post what model ends up being correct.