1994 Pathfinder VG33E engine swap project with a twist

/>

As the title says I'm looking to start an engine build. Here is my dilemma... I want to use a carburetor or a holley projection 2d on a pathfinder tbi intake converted for the holley size carb.

My issues are

1. I don't know what distributor to use.

2. Do I use msd 6al ignition? Will this solve the need for a vacuum advance on the distributor?

3. Can I rip nissans Ecu/wiring out after the conversion?

Also can someone point me in the direction of the best set of cams for NA torque? As well as the related parts I would need to upgrade the vg33e. Thanks guys!

As the title says I'm looking to start an engine build. Here is my dilemma... I want to use a carburetor or a holley projection 2d on a pathfinder tbi intake converted for the holley size carb.

My issues are

1. I don't know what distributor to use.

2. Do I use msd 6al ignition? Will this solve the need for a vaccine advance on the distributor?

3. Can I rip nissans Ecu/wiring out after the conversion?

Also can someone point me in the direction of the best set of cams for NA torque? As well as the related parts I would need to upgrade the vg33e. Thanks guys!

Edited by Thisoneguyinaz

1.Carburetor on a VG30

I'm assuming you are going to use the experimental engineering intake manifold? They also have the six bolt crank pulley adapter so you can use your vg30 accessories on the vg33. The cheapest option of cams would be to use the vg30e cams.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the price of the cams, the lopier the idle the better for my application. =)

And yes I was talking about the experimental engineering intake. Thanks for the info on that adapter!

I guess my main question now is if I have msd 6al ignition and coil can I use a tbi and keep the factory nissan distributor? And then take out all of nissans wiring and ecu crap? Or will it effect my gauges?

That's not my setup it's James'. Wait so you don't want to have a carburetor then?

I like how your engine is set up, but I think I'm leaning towards the tbi setup. I also like that intake that's nice!

I guess my main question now is if I have msd 6al ignition and coil can I use a tbi and keep the factory nissan distributor? And then take out all of nissans wiring and ecu crap? Or will it effect my gauges?

So you just want to upgrade your coil pack right? from what i've heard there isn't much point in upgrading your coil pack as the factory one is plenty strong but if you are still set on doing so this should help. If you are keeping the tbi and nissan distributor why would you want to remove the nissan wiring and how would you run the tbi?

I've looked over a few things. And I think I'm going to go with a carburetor after all, here is the twist. I have a set of 300zx turbo manifolds from a vg30et. I'm going to mod a holley 2300 for blow thru use.

So with the question I have is since I'm using a carb do I have to change the distributor or will the nissan coil and distributor work off of a msd 6al box?

Once I figure out everything I will need I'll post a build list. I hope to start working on this before Christmas