fuel gauge problems

Reecehenry

So i bought my pathy about a year ago and since then ive done a lot to it (bigger tires, lift, fender trim, ect.) and ever since the day i bought it the fuel gauge has been reading wrong... when i fill it up it reads full, but after i use about an eighth of a tank it reads like half full then about another eighth im at a quarter, and it sits at a quarter until it actually has about a quarter, then it starts to read correctly until its on E... can anyone diagnose this problem?

thanks for any help

-Reece

I have the EXACT same issue with my pathy and the issue with it is the fuel level sender in the fuel tank. If you have a volt/ohm meter you can test it. I have the FSM for up to 1995, the resistance should be approximately 3 ohms to 94 ohms. it's really easy to pull and test, depending on what year your rig is. My 95 has a fuel pump access plate under the back carpet so I don't have to drop the tank to get to it. Any earlier models should be the same. hope this helps.

thanks for the responses... manik, is the access plate under the carpet in the trunk area (behind the back seats)?

And if i test it and it reads bad, do i just replace it?

thanks for the responses... manik, is the access plate under the carpet in the trunk area (behind the back seats)?

And if i test it and it reads bad, do i just replace it?

• 2 weeks later...