Electric trailer brake controller

colinnwn

Has anyone installed an electric trailer brake controller on a R50? I don't think there is wiring in place for the controller, so I'll have to wire into the brake lights under the dash, and run wiring for the brakes from the dash back to the hitch. Wondering how much of a pain this is going to be. Thanks.

I did it about 4 years ago... I got the generic install kit from etrailer.com - it was about $60 all in as I recall, and came with everything you'll need. Everything. It took me about a day to do, but I really took my time to be sure that all my connections were tight and secure and that my wires were nicely loomed, etc.. My '03 already had the 4 pin connector installed, so I didn't need to deal with that. Etrailer.com has all sorts of vid's that you can watch to learn how to do this kind of install, though at the time they did not have a specific vid for the R-50 install - maybe they have one now. Anyway, it doesn't matter... after you watch a couple of the vid's for like vehicles, you'll realize the install is pretty much the same each time.

As I recall, the trickiest part was getting the required wiring through the firewall - my Pathy has an automatic, and there's an unused opening for the clutch master cylinder that you have to access to get the required wires to the inside of the truck - it's below the power brake booster on the driver's side. That, and finding the correct brake light wire to splice into were the two most time consuming tasks. The FSM will be your friend there.

Can't say enough about the etrailer.com resources... watching their vid's really gave me the confidence to do this. If you're reasonably handy, it's not difficult. Sorry I no longer have pic's of the install...