Installing Cd Player

Guest bob89se

Guest bob89se

I let my 17 yr. old tackle replacing my original stereo with a hand me down CD player from another son. He bought a wiring harness adaptor kit from a friend that had the same year vehicle as mine but his factory stereo was the better optional model. Botton line is that he was unable to get sound to the rear speakers. You can assume the wiring and speakers to the rears are correct as they worked with the old unit. Unless he broke something. I dont have wiring diagram for the CD player. My main question was are there wiring differences in the adaptor kit with different original stereos? I haven't dug in into this task yet as i want to know if there are any tricks to sucess for those who have done it before. Thanks

Bob in Tucson

It might also depend on which stock stereo setup your vehicle has. On some SE's, they have an amplifier that runs the rear speakers. If you take out the stock stereo that feeds the rear amp power and the proper amount of input signal, then your rear speakers won't work with an aftermarket CD player, becaus ethe CD player isn't equipped to send both power and signal back to that amplifier. I think the easiest option is just to run new speaker wires into the back and splice them into the original speaker wiring AFTER the amplifier, if so equipped. It's not too hard to do, you just have to remove some interior panels.

My 94 pathy has a amplifier from the factory when i installed my stereo (JVC) i just bought a wiring harness, and took the remote wire coming OFF the stereo, and put it in the hole that is meant to give power to the amp, and then hooked everything else up like instructions said. It works fine, but until you get power to that amp you wont get any sound comin from the speakers. Hope this helps a little.

88pathoffroad

Hey does your Pathfinder have the amps in it?

I have a newer cd player in this vehicle and it only has the two door speakers working? I was going to play with the amps if i only new where they are located?

Soon i guess i will find them i have to pull the dash anyone have pictures of a dash pulled apart on a 87-89 Pathfinder?

Mudfinder, you cannot get any sound to the rear speakers because with an aftermarket stereo you are not getting power to the amps. You must either find a way to supply the amps with power, or directly re-wire your speakers to the back of the deck ie: run new wires from speaker to deck.

Guest bob89se

Thanks for responses. why can't i splice of the power black wire coming out from the Aftermarket unit, and connect the splice wire it to the amp. (assuming i connect it with power coming from the connector). I think what u are saying is that the OEM unit has power coming and power going out through a particular wire in the connector. Now that i have a different unit, as u say no power is being sent to the amp. A shop suggested that i have to amps, one in the front just behind the OEM unit and one just about the wheel well in the back opposite of the fuel side. I thought he was talkin out of his blank. Any comments? Once i get the desire to fix it i'll post my results. Am I losing any quality bypassing the OEM amps?

Bob

Well in my pathy both amps are in the rear right panel.

I will tell you how to hook up your aftermarket stereo to the amps, if you dont want to hassle with wiring new wires to speakers and such.

Well first thing you take a wire and run it from your battery to the inside of your vehicle, then connect it to a switch. You then take a wire from the other end of the switch and connect it to the wire in the stock wiring harness for the amp power (mine is pink) and then you can manually give the amps power. This is what I did at first because I was to lazy to run new wires. Then I got new speakers and decided to run new wires and lose the amps. Hope that this helps a little bit.

• 7 months later...

hey,

i just installed a new cd player and new speakers just a few weeks ago in my 87 xe.

i got on the internet and bought a $7.00 wiring harness specifically meant for mine.

i would do that if i were you. just follow the directions and sawder the wires to the ones on the harness then plug it in to the factory harness.

mine worked great, except i got confused and messed up the memory wire so i have no ability to save radio stations as 1,2,3,etc.. i will have to fix that later.

hope i was some help to you.

hey, i was wondering if you know anything about those factory roof light bars and where to find them?

if you have any idea that would be of a lot of help

thanks

contact me at pathy689@yahoo.com