Thinking about some <LOW BUCK> exhaust work

gv280z

Wow, it's really quiet around here lately. I thought I'd share an idea I've just started kicking around a little bit. I'm on a really tight budget right now, as always but I'd like to get a little exhaust work done on my ride. Now, ideally ofcourse I'd love to have newly mandrell bent 2" pipe from a high flow cat all they out the back with a mild sound, high flow muffler. At this time however, I cannot spend the roughly $200 or so that it would cost for that, so I'm thinking of just staying in the current stock pipe diameter and cutting and splicing some new pipe in, cut out whatever that secondary exhaust chamber is (resonator?) between the cat and muffler, and throw in a cheap new muffler, maybe a Thrush turbo muffler or something.

Does anyone have any experience pulling off some super cheap cut and splice with U-bolt jobs on their exhaust? Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a century, lincln bought them out a while back. If I was going to get a new welder I would go with a miller, they are common enough parts are easy to come by.

I did just that a couple of weeks ago. My cat was plugged and mufller was coming apart. I got underneath with a sawzall and cut the cat and mufller out. I picked up some adapters from O'reillys and a thrush glasspack for around $30. I have a cheap arc welder and welded it all together in the driveway and then tack welded it into place. The exhaust ends just befor the rear axle and is terminated with a turn down tip. I'm not good enough welding to be able to weld on my back with a stick welder around the whole piping. It was only my 3rd time trying to weld lol. The tack welds worked long enought to get down the street to have an offroad shop finish the last little bit. My Pathy has kind of a cool tone now but gets pretty loud at about 3.5k rpms. Too loud for me but it works until I can put in my VG33 and a new exhaust system. My little boys think it sounds cool though :D .