Greetings from a newb

Hello all!

I have a '95 XE that I have owned since it was new.

It has been a great and reliable truck and at 18 years old only carries 157,200 miles on the clock.

Should have many years left but needs a lot of work now, starting with a fix for frame rust.

If I can secure that, next thing would be transmission. It's a 4X2 that currently won't shift into 4th gear and has gone into fail/safe mode.

Engine and interior still good. Just afraid Minnesota winters have done their damage to body and trans.

Anyway, I'm joining here in hopes of getting some counsel along the way as I try to restore the beast.

We'll see if it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Happy motoring!

:welcome:

Wow, first and only owner since new and for 18 years, I going to take a risk and say that you like it a lot, hun? :scratchhead::lol::lol:

Good luck on the restore and keep us posted with lots of pics.

Everything you need is here and people that can help, too.

We love pics.

Welcome aboard! That's a nice tale you tell, few of us have bought the vehicle new...

If you have a welder or a friend that does, most frame repair can be managed. There are several threads here with people showing what they have done, and I believe someone makes/sells replacement sections. I'm not really up on that stuff, we have other problems out here in the west.

First stop, go to the Garage section and find the pinned thread that is for Factory Service Manuals, go into it and download your own PDF copy. Now, use the index to find the Transmission section and look under troubleshooting. There will be a full procedure on how to read the error codes stored in the tranny brain and what to do from there.

As long as the tranny is salvagable, the rest of fixing her back up shouldn't be too hard or costly. At 157K, she should be worth some effort to fix back up, there is a lot of life left.

I should know, my 1995 XE has under 107k miles... :aok:

B