Transmission problem

Nooks

I have a 1990 TD27 Terrano auto, and when using the power button the gears wind out., and to change gears I have to take my foot off the excelerator and re-apply again??? Is my transmission stuffed???

Kingman: that's alot for that the tranny fluid is full so the TPS is hopefully the reason this is happening :) I'll check it out. Also would u have any idea why the gear selector inside the car is getting really hot???

Car doesn't have a TPS so I've ordered a transmission kit and I'll see how it goes after that and some new trans oil

There's a testing procedure in the FSM to pull codes from the transmission computer, so you might give that a shot. (I'm assuming that the diesel trans and gas trans are the same thing in a different package.)

The hot selector stick is a weird one. If it's the transfer case shifter, check the fluid in the transfer case. Either the whole trans is overheating or there's a problem there. If it's the PRND21 selector... that's hooked up by a cable, there's no way the trans can really heat it short of heating the floor under it. I have heard of people feeling heat from the transmission tunnel. The only time I've noticed heat coming from mine was when I tried driving it with the transfer case boot removed, and hot air coming off the engine came in and just about seared the hairs off my leg. :rolleyes: