Hand brake

Anders.greg

My hand brake just doesn't hold my truck in place on even te slightest incline. I have tightened the cable some and still doesn't hold. I have read something about resetting the brake on the rear for the hand brake but I do not know what that procedure is? I do have disc all the way around. Do any of you know how to do this?

The brake drum shoes may be shot, you need to pull the rear rotors( and calipers) and check the drum shoes, the discs in the rear are your main brakes but the parking brake uses a drum setup inside of the rotor. If the brake shoes look like they have some meat still left on them than perhaps the adjuster is frozen, a good cleaning and lube probably won't hurt.

Be careful of the brake dust it's not good for you to breathe, and I would highly recommend downloading the Factory Service Manual from the Garage section, it's free and you will refer to it often.

Rear disc systems generally have drum-in-hat parking brake systems, so the parking brake shoes could still be shot.

There is also an adjustment procedure for the parking brake lever which adjusts the parking brake cable slack, but I would check the parking brake shoes first.

I stand corrected! I had to adjust my cable slack a couple of years ago due to the drum brakes wearing thin. I just had my buddy replace the drums. I need to ask him if he readjusted the cable as the parking lever feels about the same as before.