Weird dash light issues......

4x4white03

Out of the middle of nowhere I all of a sudden get the following lights showing up on my dash:

BRAKE SLIP VDC OFF

They all came on after I had been driving about 5 minutes. After searching, I saw something similar (but different lights) that said teh alternator may be on the way out. All the checks show the alternator is fine, but the lights have come on one or twice over the last couple days. Any ideas?

First, check your brake fluid level. May not be related at all, but it never hurts to check anyway.

You may have a loose or damaged cable to one of the ABS sensors, or one of the sensors is bad.

Are you sure about the alternator? I know at idle there is not much load on it. Try retesting the voltage with as many power accessories on as possible and give the motor a little rev. Might be worth a recheck. :shrug:

*edit ...

The ABS light would come on if it was a loose/dirty/bad sensor. Mine has been on sporadically due to these issues but, like XPLORx4 suggested, I'd still take a look at the brake fluid level to eliminate that possibility.

Edited by devonianwalk

I searched google for "brake slip vdc off" and got a ton of hits that seemed to indicate that low brake fluid will cause these lights to glow. Low brake fluid, if the system is operating properly, usually indicates that your front brake pads are nearing end of life and should be inspected to determine replacement soon.

.. but, like XPLORx4 suggested, I'd still take a look at the brake fluid level to eliminate that possibility.

And apparently, as Google suggests! :lol: (slip vdc off) << I don't think the 99.5 has these indicators in the cluster?