what size wrench for flare nuts on mc?

BBB

I'm trying to replace the mc and I'm having trouble getting the hard lines disconnected. I tried a 10mm open end wrench and it was a little sloppy and just rounded over the corners. 9mm is too small, 3/8" also too small. So I went and bought a flare nut wrench. Same thing 10mm too sloppy, 9mm and 3/8" too small. What gives? How did you guys do it?

They're 10MM nuts, but when they're rounded off they become smaller. I've never had a problem removing them. :shrug: If you have a really small Crescent wrench I'd give that a shot but I don't think there's room for that.

What kind of wrench do you have, a cheap China made or a good one? There's a difference, I have a Harbor Freight 10MM wrench that is larger than it should be, and one that is slightly smaller.

Edited by Kingman

What kind of wrench do you have, a cheap China made or a good one? There's a difference,

Agreed. I have a couple different brands of wrenches probably made in China. The flare wrenches were brand new Craftsmen, tried them out in the parking lot at Sears.

10mm brake line wrench...if already rounded off then vice grips....

Well, I didn't want to do it but I ended up having to use vice grips. They were really tight, either seized or installed too tight.