What is the normal water-temperature range for our trucks?

stioc

How hot was the tranny and do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler? If not and it is plumbed through the radiator, you are actually adding heat to the radiator from the tranny.

B

I'm planning on installing my new B&M tranny cooler in a week or two, it's wayyy bigger than the stock one so I'm wondering if it will be ok to bypass the pipes that take hot tranny fluid to the bottom of the rad & just go straight to the B&M from the tranny? :shrug:

I run my B&M cooler inline with the factory cooler without any issues. It definitely helps in the cold weather to get the transmission up to operating temperature faster. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects during warm weather either.

• Like 1

I'm planning on installing my new B&M tranny cooler in a week or two, it's wayyy bigger than the stock one so I'm wondering if it will be ok to bypass the pipes that take hot tranny fluid to the bottom of the rad & just go straight to the B&M from the tranny? :shrug:

I believe the best set up is to go from the tranny into a filter into the radiator cooler, into the aftermarket cooler and back to the tranny. This is the best of all worlds because it keeps the fluid clean, warms it up in cold weather and cools it down (twice) in hot weather. This is the same way the stock 'extra' cooler is set up on the R50s.

The only option I didn't mention is to install a temp gauge, but I highly recommend it. Trannys are expensive and a pain to change, gauges are $50... ;)

B

• Like 1

On the topic of trans coolers. Which line is in and which one is out on the radiator for the tranny. Installing a Hayden 678/9 this week. Was thinking of just bypassing all together. As I think my rad part may be clogged. When cold when I go in drive. Takes a sec to engage drive. But reverse is instant. Trans fluid is nice red not burnt smelling. <br />Live in South Florida so no cold temps. <br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I want to say it is the line on the drivers (left hand) side of the tranny, but let me look it up in the FSM tonight to verify. One way to tell is pull one line, put it in a bucket and have someone fire it up for 2 seconds. You'll know if you have the out line... ;) Also, you can buy a can of back flushing solvent at the dealership to clean out the radiator cooler; it is a semi-standard procedure and what I plan to do when I re-route my cooler system.

B

• 3 years later...

Hello, Does anyone know at which temperature the fan clutch kicks in on a 1997 Pathfinder with a VG33E engine?

I don't see it listed in the service manual anywhere.

I see it lists a 180 degree thermostat as the OEM recommended temp.

Due to Left Coast SMOG issues, I was going to bump mine up to a 195 (was running a 170, 10 degrees cooler than manual calls for), and hope that helps lower HC emmissions (after replacing 3 of 4 O2 sensors, a catalytic converter, a cracked exhaust manifold, and a distributor...). Keeps barely failing HC on CA Smog. Would have passed if they did not keep making the emissions criteria EVEN MORE stringent after the the car was manufactured (that should be illegal in my opinion...).

If the fan clutch is going to kick in at 195 or so, then that'll take more power off the engine and be more apt to cause it to be even more luggish (they have to go to 3rd gear already to keep the RPM just under 2000 at 25 MPH, and that is kind of low in the power band of the engine already....), and more apt to increase my HC count.

However a hotter engine, all things else being equal, is supposed to burn a little cleaner.

Last time everything passed except HC, and I was only like 7 ppm over the limit (ARGH!!!! If it was just a cool day and humid I'm sure it would have passed).

Only thing left is the Left Side Upstream O2 sensor (and the old one looked quite beat up, so I am hoping just replacing that (which will be #3 for me in the last month), that hotter thermostat, and plug wires (resistance on old wires were fine, but they are ANCIENT, normally I'd run'em until they gave me a code or failed resistance checks).

I'm curious to see how hot she runs with a 195 stat and if the fan works harder.

That's the other thing that annoys me about the CA dyno test, it's fake in that the fan has to do all the work, as you don't have the benefit of a 25mph wind blowing through the radiator...