Tranny Mod ?

thndrwhls

I just got back from a christmas trip from Memphis, Tn to Detroit, Mi. Going through the hills of Kentucky with cruse control on was annoying as hell, she kept kicking down and reving between 4-6k till I was nearly half way down the other side of the hill. I read the Tranny Mod thread and it sounds kinda like what I am talking about so I was wanting some response to see if I am on the right track.

Strange thing is that I got about 13 mpg while in cruse, with cruse off and not letting it kickdown, which sometimes felt like I was backsliding, I got about 18 mpg.

Gimmie some feedback guys, I gotta know if this thing will really work, sounds like its kind of a band aid. Are there any other ways to adjsut the tranny kickdown feature so that it would not kickdown to the point it sounds like the engine is going to blow?

Would installing headers or other horse power increasing options help in this area by providing more power, perhaps I wouldnt slowdown so much going up hills when not letting it kick in.

Thanks 88,

I have certainly learned a lot and enjoed reading all the forum threads available here. A full blown tune up is next onl the list, I havent done one yet and I am sure it may cure a few annoiences if nothing else. So, how far should I go with this, plugs wires, K&N filter, Fuel Filter or should I go as far as the dist cap and rotor also?

Thndrwhls

Definitely do the cap and rotor as well. Be aware that changing the plugs is a pain in the arse, removal of the sixth rearmost plug requires either the stock spark plug tool from under the rear seats or a ratchet with multiple wobbly extensions and a u-joint.

After doing all that, unplug the battery for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. That will reset the ECU and clear all codes. Drive the vehicle for about a week, then check the ECU for error codes to see if anything else is registering an error.