SFD

Pros:

Best look

Best clearance (higher lift)

More reliable (easier on running gear)

No import cost as it is Canadian

Cons:

More difficult to install

More expensive to install (don't have tools or garage to perform installation)

More expensive initial purchase?

A/C LIFT KIT

Pros:

Easy install

Least expensive to install

Lower price initial purchase?

Cons:

Less reliable (more wear and tear on joints due to increased angles)

Struts topping out (cause for worry?)

High import/transport cost to Vancouver BC, Canada (from FLA to BC)

I am hoping those of you who have the SFD OR the AC lift kit will chime in and possibly help me make a decision and/or correct any of my Pro/Con thoughts.

Anyone who first had the A/C lift kit and now has the SFD, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well.

Edit: Sorry, I should add that it is my DD as well as our get-away from it all vehicle, with which we go camping with our RTT throughout all summer and early fall. I do like traversing mild/medium trails but would like to try something... a bit more out-of the way?

Thank you all in advance, I have been researching and waiting for this moment. Now that my shocks are done-for, am very eager to finally lift me rig. :fireworx:

Edited by Bluewulf73

Easy answer, how good a driver are you. The more capable the vehicle the more risk you take, the more risk you take the better the change of getting really stuck. I would say if your really feel the need for more ground clearance go SFD, the pros out weigh the cost.

But I see you are in BC like me so think carefully about it, we have so much access to everything via FSR's most lifts are not really needed. I covered from Vancouver to Pentiction and back last Sept 3 days 1000+ Km and only touched pavement for about 100km - needed to fuel up and cross hiways. In fairness a lot of that was going up to and checking out small lakes for fishing and coming back down. But I rarely needed 4wd let alone a lift, other than getting into the smaller lakes and some bad uphill washboard.

Every year and trip is different but I have found at least in my case a lift would be a waste of time, there are certainly places that I had to say not gonna make it and the odd clunk was heard in others but overall they are the exception.

I would spend the money making sure you have good AT tires, solid suspension (OME or something better than stock springs), a well maintained vehicle, GPS, backroads maps hard copy and GPS and consider a ham course and radio.

The other issue in BC is cellphones stop really quick, last year no cell coverage in Boston Bar and that is Hwy 1, a radio is kind of nice when you are in the middle of nowhere. You can almost always pickup the logging companies if not on the weekend during the week for sure. I saw very few vehicles other than close to Princeton And Pentiction, so you can be on your own if you do breakdown.

Easy answer, how good a driver are you. The more capable the vehicle the more risk you take, the more risk you take the better the change of getting really stuck. I would say if your really feel the need for more ground clearance go SFD, the pros out weigh the cost.

But I see you are in BC like me so think carefully about it, we have so much access to everything via FSR's most lifts are not really needed. I covered from Vancouver to Pentiction and back last Sept 3 days 1000+ Km and only touched pavement for about 100km - needed to fuel up and cross hiways. In fairness a lot of that was going up to and checking out small lakes for fishing and coming back down. But I rarely needed 4wd let alone a lift, other than getting into the smaller lakes and some bad uphill washboard.

Every year and trip is different but I have found at least in my case a lift would be a waste of time, there are certainly places that I had to say not gonna make it and the odd clunk was heard in others but overall they are the exception.

I would spend the money making sure you have good AT tires, solid suspension (OME or something better than stock springs), a well maintained vehicle, GPS, backroads maps hard copy and GPS and consider a ham course and radio.

The other issue in BC is cellphones stop really quick, last year no cell coverage in Boston Bar and that is Hwy 1, a radio is kind of nice when you are in the middle of nowhere. You can almost always pickup the logging companies if not on the weekend during the week for sure. I saw very few vehicles other than close to Princeton And Pentiction, so you can be on your own if you do breakdown.

Thanks for your input rgallant,

I have not been as adventurous as I would like, primarily because the vehicle is my daily driver, I usually wheel alone and I don't have much in the way of recovery gear. I usually stop investigate and think about repercussions of going through or over an obstacle for a long time before actually tackling it. If it looks too deep or too steep or too gnarly, it probably is, hence I will look for a way around or turn back. I know the Pathy's limitations and mine (can't throw lots of $$ into this car especially not on repair bills) so I always wheel on the side of caution.

Perhaps I will look into getting some OME springs, new shocks and some quality under-armour instead of going balls-out and getting the SFD.

If you have to time, money, and help, SFD, easy.

Thanks 90seven, You have the AC lift, can you comment on ride, how often your struts top-out, wear on parts, etc?

If you don't have time, money, or help, AC, easy.

Thanks devonianwalk, You have the AC lift, can you comment on ride, how often your struts top-out, wear on parts, etc?

Thanks devonianwalk, You have the AC lift, can you comment on ride, how often your struts top-out, wear on parts, etc?

:lol: Touché .. *knock on wood*

I have not experienced any of the camber, premature CV wear, or any of the negative AC lift "trauma" that has been expressed by other members on this site. At this point, I don't know if I'm lucky or others here have installed their kits incorrectly. I have had my AC spring lift on for two years and the NX4 1" strut spacers for almost as long. I have around 20k+ miles on her since the lift and have wheeled it off-road multiple times with out any complications. Well, my plastic fender trim has taken a beating but, the suspension has held up quite well. I have since removed all the plastics and kind of like the "rugged" look I have with the holes left in my fenders and knobby tires. I'm very content on the ride quality (stiffer, like a truck) and have no intention to add any extra lift. I feel "big" when I park next to stock R50's. I guess I'm suggesting that I feel "content" with my Pathy. However, my daily driver is my Mazda Miata so, take that opinion for what it's worth .. heart.gif

• Like 1

Right there with you I mostly go out alone, literally. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, if the snow ever leaves the high up you should come out this way and I can show the back route to Boston Bar, it is not a bad drive other than the bit by Harrison. (yahoo's not road)

Thanks for your input rgallant,

I have not been as adventurous as I would like, primarily because the vehicle is my daily driver, I usually wheel alone and I don't have much in the way of recovery gear. I usually stop investigate and think about repercussions of going through or over an obstacle for a long time before actually tackling it. If it looks too deep or too steep or too gnarly, it probably is, hence I will look for a way around or turn back. I know the Pathy's limitations and mine (can't throw lots of $$ into this car especially not on repair bills) so I always wheel on the side of caution.

• Like 1

ground clearance and SFD are not automatic... I just want to make this myth disappear a bit... I have nothing against the product but it needs to be said...

front ground clearance under the front diff : example : with 29" stock tires = 8"

If you run 33'' with AC springs (2") + 1 inch spacers, your ground clearance goes to : 13" (8 + 3 (suspension) + 4"/2 (tires)

If you install a 4 inch sfd with 4" inch strut spacer, you would need to put 39" tires in order to clear the same space under the diff...

this is why many install the sfd + the ac springs. this combined with 35" tires will bring the ground clearance also to 13" (8 + 2 + 6"/2)

Of course the rear diff clearance is totally related to tire size as it is a solid axle.

If ground clearance was one of your concerns, hopefully this will help you.

S.

• Like 2

so just dumbing it down for myself your saying that even though the SFD will lift the body of the truck with the same size stock tire the real ground clearance wont actually be changed because it would keep everything in the stock location and geometry just wanted to clarify to make sure i understand correctly

yes ... .a Sub Frame Drop brings down the sub frame (where the diff is attached), but with the included strut spacers, you bring up the body... On a unibody like the r50, it means everything raises... So after a 4" SFD, you have not raised an inch in ground clearance if you keep the same tires.

S.

I've only had my lift on since 09March2013, so less than a month. ;)

However, ride quality is excellent, then again whatever I replaced were shot to hell.

The top-out people are getting from going over speed bumps quickly are the coils expanding rapidly on the way down. Go slowly over and allow the front wheels to maintain contact with the entire speed bump. This should only happen during the first few weeks as it settles. Once it settles the 4" initial lift (this is how much it increased for me) will drop to the advertised 2" lift. So it should go away. Other than speed bumps, normal road imperfections are what you'd typically expect from stock.

The wear on the CVs are remedied with the installation of Manual Hubs.

SFD is what I dream of. Maybe one day. Until then, I'm looking at Sliders and Skid plates for now. I had such a difficult time compressing the coils to bolt the strut (they weren't kidding about the higher spring rate), I'll have to wait until the lift settles before adding the spacers up front.

:lol: Touché .. *knock on wood*

I have not experienced any of the camber, premature CV wear, or any of the negative AC lift "trauma" that has been expressed by other members on this site. At this point, I don't know if I'm lucky or others here have installed their kits incorrectly. I have had my AC spring lift on for two years and the NX4 1" strut spacers for almost as long. I have around 20k+ miles on her since the lift and have wheeled it off-road multiple times with out any complications. Well, my plastic fender trim has taken a beating but, the suspension has held up quite well. I have since removed all the plastics and kind of like the "rugged" look I have with the holes left in my fenders and knobby tires. I'm very content on the ride quality (stiffer, like a truck) and have no intention to add any extra lift. I feel "big" when I park next to stock R50's. I guess I'm suggesting that I feel "content" with my Pathy. However, my daily driver is my Mazda Miata so, take that opinion for what it's worth .. heart.gif

Thanks devonianwalk, glad to hear no issues have come up for you. Hope it remains that way. What year Miata? I'm hoping to get first gen and buildign it up once the kids are outta the house... :blush: in like 12 years... :/ First gens are my favourite. Especially since I don't really fit well into the other generation Miata's (except for the last one)

Right there with you I mostly go out alone, literally. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, if the snow ever leaves the high up you should come out this way and I can show the back route to Boston Bar, it is not a bad drive other than the bit by Harrison. (yahoo's not road)

I hear ya on the Yahoo's. Almost got run off the road by a drunken YJ driver... he did run someone else off the road :rant2: . I have yet to get the back-roads maps but have been very interested in doing a trip solely on back roads (with the exceptional trip on a road to get fuel) Maybe I'll take you up on that later in the year.

I've only had my lift on since 09March2013, so less than a month. ;)

However, ride quality is excellent, then again whatever I replaced were shot to hell.

The top-out people are getting from going over speed bumps quickly are the coils expanding rapidly on the way down. Go slowly over and allow the front wheels to maintain contact with the entire speed bump. This should only happen during the first few weeks as it settles. Once it settles the 4" initial lift (this is how much it increased for me) will drop to the advertised 2" lift. So it should go away. Other than speed bumps, normal road imperfections are what you'd typically expect from stock.

The wear on the CVs are remedied with the installation of Manual Hubs.

SFD is what I dream of. Maybe one day. Until then, I'm looking at Sliders and Skid plates for now. I had such a difficult time compressing the coils to bolt the strut (they weren't kidding about the higher spring rate), I'll have to wait until the lift settles before adding the spacers up front.

Great to hear. I had intended on installing the Manual hubs anyway...hopefully i get as lucky as you guys and have no issues. From what I understand the NX4 spacers are solely to get rid of the forward rake, correct? Might have to think about getting those too especially since we sleep on the roof of the pathy and having a level sleeping surface is important.

ground clearance and SFD are not automatic... I just want to make this myth disappear a bit... I have nothing against the product but it needs to be said...

front ground clearance under the front diff : example : with 29" stock tires = 8"

If you run 33'' with AC springs (2") + 1 inch spacers, your ground clearance goes to : 13" (8 + 3 (suspension) + 4"/2 (tires)

If you install a 4 inch sfd with 4" inch strut spacer, you would need to put 39" tires in order to clear the same space under the diff...

this is why many install the sfd + the ac springs. this combined with 35" tires will bring the ground clearance also to 13" (8 + 2 + 6"/2)

Of course the rear diff clearance is totally related to tire size as it is a solid axle.

If ground clearance was one of your concerns, hopefully this will help you.

S.

Hey Fleurys,

Thank you for your informative response. I do understand the subframe and rear axle will not be any higher than now with the 4" SFD lift. My usual hang-ups are the front and rear bumpers and having a 4" SFD drop, essentially lifts my unibody 4" which means my approach and departure angles will improve. I don't think I'll get bigger tires for a while since my current 30X9.5's are still pretty new. And I know I'll never go any bigger than 31's since I want to keep costs down and fuel consumption relatively low (it is my DD) so I understand my lift is still going to be very limited.

I might hit you up later with a PM. I really like your front and mid skidplates.

Thanks devonianwalk, glad to hear no issues have come up for you. Hope it remains that way. What year Miata? I'm hoping to get first gen and buildign it up once the kids are outta the house... :blush: in like 12 years... :/ First gens are my favourite. Especially since I don't really fit well into the other generation Miata's (except for the last one)

I forgot to mention that I also have Warn manual hubs ..

The Miata is a '92 NA (original body style). If you get one, do NOT let Nunya find out! :hide:

Thank you for your informative response. I do understand the subframe and rear axle will not be any higher than now with the 4" SFD lift. My usual hang-ups are the front and rear bumpers and having a 4" SFD drop, essentially lifts my unibody 4" which means my approach and departure angles will improve. I don't think I'll get bigger tires for a while since my current 30X9.5's are still pretty new. And I know I'll never go any bigger than 31's since I want to keep costs down and fuel consumption relatively low (it is my DD) so I understand my lift is still going to be very limited.

With that idea, keep in mind that 4" of lift might make your 30s or even your 31s look like little donuts. It wouldnt be terrible, but personally I cant stand the "Big-Truck-Dinky-Tires" combo~

Piece your lift together 4"SFD+2"AC lift=6" lift. Get the 4"SFD and the only thing you will need from AC is the front 2" lift springs and possibly new struts and you will get 6" of lift.

Hey mudfildvaynes,

As much as I'd love to do that and as cool as that looks, and I'm sure, wheels, it is just not practical for me as it is my DD and it wouldn't fit in my carport or with my RTT on it, not to mention my work's U/G parking (without the tent) Also, my wife is short and me kids wouldn't be able to climb that high so I just can't go that route. Wife would :whip: if I made our Pathy that high.

With that idea, keep in mind that 4" of lift might make your 30s or even your 31s look like little donuts. It wouldnt be terrible, but personally I cant stand the "Big-Truck-Dinky-Tires" combo~

Hey Iceman,

I too feel that "Big-Truck-Dinky-Tires" look is, well, funny lookin'. :lol: Still, with the wheels I got on it wouldn't look as bad it as OEM wheels with the OEM backspacing. I could live with that for a while, 'till these tires wear out. As I stated before, 31's are the largest tire I would put on the Path as I don't want them to affect the vehicle's tracking, comfort and fuel consumption on the highway. :bounce:

Hey mudfildvaynes,

As much as I'd love to do that and as cool as that looks, and I'm sure, wheels, it is just not practical for me as it is my DD and it wouldn't fit in my carport or with my RTT on it, not to mention my work's U/G parking (without the tent) Also, my wife is short and me kids wouldn't be able to climb that high so I just can't go that route. Wife would :whip: if I made our Pathy that high.

Hey Iceman,

I too feel that "Big-Truck-Dinky-Tires" look is, well, funny lookin'. :lol: Still, with the wheels I got on it wouldn't look as bad it as OEM wheels with the OEM backspacing. I could live with that for a while, 'till these tires wear out. As I stated before, 31's are the largest tire I would put on the Path as I don't want them to affect the vehicle's tracking, comfort and fuel consumption on the highway. :bounce:

Then for your use, I'd switch my vote to upgraded suspension, not just a taller vehicle. Sounds like the AC springs or OME springs would be a good choice for you and your own personal use/goals with your pathfinder.

Then for your use, I'd switch my vote to upgraded suspension, not just a taller vehicle. Sounds like the AC springs or OME springs would be a good choice for you and your own personal use/goals with your pathfinder.

I agree with Ice.

I agree with Ice.

Cool. Thank you everyone for your input.
I think i'm going to research both OME and AC further. With what it costs to get the AC lift kit to Vancouver, I think I might be able to get a full OME kit (struts, springs and shocks) down in WA.
Any WA peeps recommend a garage near Bellingham/Seattle?