help! metal chunks in oil

kagedkitten

I just did an oil change on my truck, and there are metal chunks. Bigger then sand... I have pictures but i dont know how to post them. So, umm... Help? Please.... It sounds fine. Aside from a bit of lifter noise.

Upload them to www.imgur.com

What is your typical oil change interval? What oil & filter do you use? Is the air intake secure without any leaks or possible dirt entry points? Air filter present?

I bought it recently. It had been sitting for a a couple years i believe. I dont remember there being any chunks before, but i was also using a different oil pan.

I've just been using napas oil 5w30. I did an oil change as soon as i got it, then again roughly 2000-3000 miles, not km. And this time i did it at 5000 miles... The oil filter that i just changed was a napa one, the one that i first used, and just put on is the fram.

Air intake is present, secured,and everything works good there, no leaks. it was changed when i got the truck as well. Though the intake tube was cracked before (we replaced that as well)... But i dont remember chunks before either.

my guess is it was your bottom oil ring, I think most pistons have like two oil rings and then a compression ring at the top, one of your oil disinegrated and you've got one left that is apparently doing the job. You should get a compression test done to check the health of all your cylinders, because if I'm wrong, not one of your rings, in my opinion this is serious, bordering on major. I guess my 2nd guess would be a bearing from the crankshaft. Go get a cheap stethoscope from walgreens for like 15 bucks and start your engine, and listen underneath on the block, I don't know what your gonna hear but you'll probably know it when you do!

Yeah the flakes are either not metal or they are non ferrous. There is no magnetism. The truck sounds good aside from one noisy lifter. We did a compression test a couple months ago and it was 170 across the board except one which wae 158, still within spec tho. There's no roughness to the motor at all, no bearing noise. Kind of weird to find aluminum in there... I dont even know where that would come from? It was a brighter white metallic colour. No change in how it drives since we got it about 6000miles ago. It feels stronger now if anything...

Very weird.... I did clean some gunk out of the lifters area when we did the valve cover gaskets so maybe i dropped some built up crud down inside.

Cut open your used oil filters and make sure there wasn't any failure of the filtering media, like a blowout for example. It's rare but that could be a possibility I'd imagine. You'll also see if the filter has caught any big chunks of stuff that way too.

Aluminum isn't magnetic. Its possible the aluminum is from the head where the dead lifter has been banging around and galling up the journal.

Did you scrape the valve cover gasket surface to clean it up?

nah just used gasket remover and a plastic razor blade. i dont use metal to scrape aluminum. the lifter noise is pretty consistent and audible. it doesnt sound aggressive but you can always hear it. we are weighing the pros and cons of what to do. i could replace the lifters but the amount of work that takes vs. just doing a vg33e swap on her truck like i did to mine. vg33e totally changed my truck and i fell in love all over again and i think i would rather just throw one of those in her truck too instead of messing around with head work on a 200k mile vg30. the rear main seal is also leaking noticeably so the engine already has to come out.. might just be time to pull a 3.3 at pick a part. 195$ if we pull it. can't really complain.

Edited by Nefarious