2001 won"t idle

fred01

Like the title says, Pathy will drive fine, runs smooth but will not idle. Everything was fine till last weekend, I drove on the interstate, and when I exited and stopped at a red light, it just died. Started right back up but won't idle unless I hold my foot on the peddle. I got a P1140 code so I changed BOTH cam sensors, with new ones. I also installed a NEW MAF because my code reader said "Air metering". cleared the codes and it still won't idle. After driving around a little, I got a P1145 code.

Any ideas? Is there a reset procedure beside clearing the codes with the scanner?

It's a 2001 with the 3.5.

P1145 is a camshaft position sensor. I forgot which side it is. Swap the two to see if the code moves; if it does, its the sensor and it should be replaced.

I had P1140 and P1145 codes for years without any ill effects except maybe some lost power and possibly contributing to my rear main seal leak in some way.

"...I got a P1140 code so I changed BOTH cam sensors, with new ones..."

As previously stated, I already replaced both of them...no change, still got the code. What's bugging me is it will not idle. It's like the idle adjusting screw is backed off, runs fine if I crack the throttle and hold it there, But if released, the motor dies.

My bad, I was on my phone so I skimmed your post. You can try following the diagnostic procedure for P1145 described on page EC-480, perhaps there is an electrical flaw. Idle air volume learning described on EC-59 may help as well to fix your idle problem.

Edited by Towncivilian