Headlight Question

tdauria

So i just switched from the stupid 9007 bulbs and made a new relay harness (came out really good actually might post about it haha) Switching back to legal & safe 9004s, philips vision plus.

Ive noticed my passenger side always seems to throw a much less bright, less white light. This was the case with the 9007s and i figured it was just a bad ground from my old harness.

The weird thing is that the problem persisted when i took out the relays and went back to the stock wiring. And now, even with a newly made harness and bulbs, that headlight seems to still be duller.

I tested GE Nighthawk platinums and they did the same thing too.

I do have those angry eye things spraypainted onto my glass lens, but would this cause it to look a little yellow?

I'm considering taking them out and trying to clean the inside of the lenses, has anyone done this before? (They dont look like theres much of anything in there but i figured it coulnt hurt)

Another thought was that maybe its just due to the different beam patterns of the right and left lenses... I'll see if i can get it to show up in a picture tomorrow. Any thoughts appreciated!

You don't have to clean them because they are glass. They tend to stay looking fresh forever. There is no difference between premium grade light bulbs and regular light bulbs unless the new bulb has some different wattage rating. In fact I bet you will get more light if you stick a clear regular bulb in there.

The dullness on one side is probably coming from one wire being longer to the battery than the other. What wiring gauge did you use for the relays?

Ah i meant cleaning the inside, i can make out a tiiny bit of moisture and dust woulnt think enough to make a difference

And on the lights theyre actually excellent bulbs, tiny bit of blue coating only at the very end ive read it is one of the best options for 9004s along with the NightHawks

As for the different lengths, the weird part is that side has a much SHORTER set of wires as its close to the battery. 12ga everywhere including the inline fuse and pigtails on the socket and grounds directly to negative on the battery

Well I do now, lol

headlightwiring_zps4eb88368.jpg

note that due to the arrangement of the picture some wires are not to scale.

The three wires going to the passenger side headlight are about 2-3 feet long, the driver's side are about 5.

(My relays have two 87 pins each.)

modified image from Daniel Stern Lighting, for educational purposes only.

You were running a 9007 bulb in a 9004 housing? WTF dude? That's wrong on so many levels. I know HOW it works, but so BAD.

As for the dullness, I'm sure the reflector is no longer as bright and shiny as it once was. that's the only explanation. You'll have to cook the housing, and redo the reflective coating, or replace the housing.

Yeeeah i guess for a little while there i was a less bright version of the people running around with HIDs and no projectors -which happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves- :/

Haha ok well if those are the necessary measures for getting in there I'll deal until i get E-Codes or something. Thanks for the info!