rear wheel bearings - need help/input guys

pathyguy87

well I'm right in the middle of doing some rear wheels bearings. I was not getting much drama from the rear end, like grinding or howling. Just a slight vibration. I began looking around. With the rear off the ground, I could grab the wheel and move it up down left right in and out. all directions about 10mm easily. very loose and wobbly

I cant find much on the forums of somebody actually doing them. Most people say "you shouldnt have to do them" or "they last a million miles." My question is, whats the best way to press the old bearing off? Im having trouble finding a shop that is willing/able to do it.

I was looking at mine yesterday while swapping from my old drums to disks I pulled out of another truck. It would have to be an interesting press to do it, as it appears you have to press the axleshaft out before you can press out the bearings.

I didn't previously notice it, but once looking at my old bearings, there was a significant amount of play in them. I threw the new shafts in bearings and all. There isn't any play in them. You might consider doing the same, pulling the full axleshaft with bearings from a scrap yard and put them in. Check them for play first. Only downside is that you never know how long they're going to last. You may also half to shim for the proper end play, but I'm still trying to figure out if this changes or not. There is a procedure in the FSM for this.

Edited by pathybuilder

I have helped someone change these before. You do need to press the backing plates off, any competent shop should be able to do this. I would pull the shafts (4 bolts and the brake line) and take them somewhere.