ford srpings

Dg123

Ok so I have heard of useing ford f150 springs for a lift. So could I just get some spacers made for the f150 and use them? Because I am just looking for about a 1.5" I know about the springs from 4x4 parts but shipping will kill me to Alaska so I am liking for something else. Any help would be great thanks

You have to get the right diameter coils. Then you can get the small lift you want. I will be doing mine soon using jgc springs. I'm only going for 1" to 1 1/2" also.

The v6 springs from a jeep? I have seen on here about.someone getting some thick rubber and cutting it to use it as a spacer so I might look into that to

I have no experience with the fork coils, but I recall people saying they are stiff and I recommend avoiding spacers in general.

JGC springs should be available locally. You might need to trim and reinstall install a little to get the exact ride height you are looking for, but that is time, not $. Please do record and share spring diameter, free length and ride height measured to the center of the body crease.

B

So I am guess that there are no options for spacers? It's.only the springs from 4x4 parts?

I believe you can run Daystar Spacers for a 2WD 1500 - 3500 Dodge Pick-up. These are available in 1", 1.5" and 2". I've measured the Dodge coils and compared them to the pathfinder coils, There is a small difference, however I don't think it will be a problem. This is what I ordered for my truck, but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe I'll take some pictures of the set-up tomorrow and see what others think before you go ahead with something that isn't proven.

Here's the link for the 1 1/2" spacers.

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=13

You can also get spacers through summit racing, some of the other members here are running them, but I don't have any other info on this.

I also looked at using Ford spacers, however from what I remember, the fords use a pigtail, the same way that the jeep springs do, so any spacer for these will be designed to accommodate the pigtail. They won't work for us.

I recommend avoiding spacers in general.

B

Have you heard bad stories regarding spacers? I know a number of jeep guys that run coil spacers for a budget lift and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I'm curious to know, because it might make me change my plan as well.

Edited by pathybuilder

Have you heard bad stories regarding spacers? I know a number of jeep guys that run coil spacers for a budget lift and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I'm curious to know, because it might make me change my plan as well.

Well, for coil springs they can shift or simply fall out at extreme flex and they have to be made right to fit in the nissan base, which has a step in it. I'm leery of any spacer that doesn't conform to the spring step or hold it securely. At least when you only have springs you can put zip ties in place as keepers.

I avoid spacers whenever possible, even when they are bolt on... :shrug:

B

Rather than filling you post regarding ford springs with crap, I created a new post with the specs on the spacers I want to run.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34795-coil-spring-spacer-option/

FYI, I may be incorrect about the pigtail on the Ford Springs that I mentioned above, I found another thread regarding the use of Ford springs from 1970 to 1978. The springs I was referring to were from a mid 90's explorer, thinking the same as you that maybe I could find a coil spacer option...

Well, for coil springs they can shift or simply fall out at extreme flex and they have to be made right to fit in the nissan base, which has a step in it. I'm leery of any spacer that doesn't conform to the spring step or hold it securely. At least when you only have springs you can put zip ties in place as keepers.

I avoid spacers whenever possible, even when they are bolt on... :shrug:

B

Thanks for this, I didn't think they would be an issue. The spring step on mine is on the axle side, not at the coil bucket where the spacers will be installed, but I still understand your point.