intake issue...

Cory74700

So today during the winter fun fest here in my town, I went through the river a few times and I sucked a bit of water into my intake and my 88 pathfinder was bogging severely bad and actually died when I got to the main road and I was stuck for about an hour and a half trying to dry out the TBI, any suggestions from anyone on how to avoid this?? Please don't give some smart ass remark like (dont drive through the riverbed) it was a foot and a half to two feet deep of water, it just splashed up from under my hood and got sucked in, is there some adapter hose I can purchase that will fit onto the opening of my TBI?? Or will I have to make my own?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check all your connectors and wires to make sure something couldnt have possibly gotten wet? Or get a snorkel. hah. splashing around gets fluids in weird places.... doesnt matter how deep. my 94 never liked being dipped in water up to the bumpers... it would run and stumble for a while after a dip... and the CEL would be on for a few mins.

MY1PATH had a hidden snorkel that he fabricated on his rig. I can't find the original thread put i can find one of the posts where he shows the majority of it.

This is how he hooked it up to his tbi intake.

the stock tbi intake pipe fits snugly over it if you cut the last 3" off.
Edited by Leo94

The only thing I can think of is my catalytic converter got soaked due to my exhaust leak directly before the cat. Maybe my O2 sensor got soaked, or the doughnut in the cat got soaked too, either way I think the high rpms burnt out my cat as well cuz I smelt a very unfamiliar smell after I backfired so hard not only did a flame ball fly out the tailpipe but also up and out of my intake too, and also my check engine light came on that I didn't even know existed, ill run the codes today and match them to another thread where the code readouts are posted. Thanks both of you for the quick responses as well.