Yet more suspension questions.

bushnut

After last weeks winter camping trip I realize I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade my suspension. loaded down with 3 days winter kit for 2 guys and a big dog the Rusty was riding a little low and the ride was a little bagged.

So a suspension upgrade is in order. Shocks/struts and springs. I don't do enough difficult off roading to need much of a lift, I'm more the overlander type.

As always the budget is very important. this is the set up I'm thinking about.

OME medium springs front and rear. OME rear shocks Firm. KYB GR-2 front struts.

The question is ...

Is there any issue mixing OME springs with KYB struts. I Thinking spring rates vs compression and rebound valving.

I know enough about mountain bike suspension that this can be an issue. though there is usually some form of adjustability with bike suspension, unlike most vehicle shocks.

thanks for any feedback.

It's good that you're researching first. Here's a couple of threads that cover lift issues...........

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34718-shock-internals-and-top-out/

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/32829-starting-to-get-really-frustrated-with-ac-2-lift/

There;s some other threads as well, but you'll have to search around. :aok:

That's almost the exact same setup that I have, except I have KYB Gas-a-just shocks in the rear, and OME firm all around. Consider doing firm up front as well as rear, because that's where all your weight is.

Don't look at my sig picture for lift height, because that was taken prior to the lift.

I've had no issues with the KYB struts and shocks, and they've been on for years. I'm not a heavy off-roader, though, so take that into consideration.

I don't realy care about the lift height. So how did did it affect the ride? the OME springs and KYB over stock setup? how is the ride when loaded? How does it ride on corrogated road? like you I'm not into off road for the thrill. It just lets me get to where I want to camp.

Exactly what I put into mine, save I run a different rear shock. Works great I covered about 1500Km on logging roads and goat tracks this September with no issues at all. In fairness I tend to travel alone with about 500lbs in the back, but the back end does not drop much. The back end does bounce a bit more on washboard, but I am open on both ends. Popping in 4wd sorts that out pretty quick.

If you are an overlander type of guy it should work good for you.

After last weeks winter camping trip I realize I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade my suspension. loaded down with 3 days winter kit for 2 guys and a big dog the Rusty was riding a little low and the ride was a little bagged.

So a suspension upgrade is in order. Shocks/struts and springs. I don't do enough difficult off roading to need much of a lift, I'm more the overlander type.

As always the budget is very important. this is the set up I'm thinking about.

OME medium springs front and rear. OME rear shocks Firm. KYB GR-2 front struts.

The question is ...

Is there any issue mixing OME springs with KYB struts. I Thinking spring rates vs compression and rebound valving.

I know enough about mountain bike suspension that this can be an issue. though there is usually some form of adjustability with bike suspension, unlike most vehicle shocks.

thanks for any feedback.