Timing belt job done, thanx NPORA

rocky2

Did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, thermostat and one camshaft seal. Everything went off without a hitch and I can't thank NPORA enough. Especially "5523pathfinder" and everyone else here and the www.

My son and I got after it around 2:00 pm yesterday and finished around 11:00 pm, with one parts run and a snack break. Oh and about 3 or 4 beers.

The stock timing belt with 148,000 mi. was still in good shape, a little soft but no cracks or serious wear signs. But when you get that far and getting good sleep at night is important, we jumped in. Stock water pump felt decent but the tensiner bearing felt lose and rough as compared to the new one.

Everything came out and off really easy and lining up the timing marks seemed easier than I expected. Wasn't totally sure about the TDC timing part but checked the rotor position, the alignment marks and then rotated crank, checked again and again, then just went for it. The tensioner and spring still confuses me. If you adjust tension then tighten down the nut, what is the spring for? The camshaft and sprockets were initially worrisome because the camshafts moved when I took the sprockets off to get to the seal but just put them back and used the screwdriver trick to hold in place and worked perfect. Did just the leaking RH camshaft seal, the other one and the crankshaft seal were fine.

The AC line was in the way and was probably the only pain. How to make a couple of attempts putting the belt tensioner brackets back on in correct order at the end of the job must have been tired. Got in the truck and turned the key and it started and purred like a kitten. Overall a very easy job.

2012-11-22134450.jpgtimingbelt.jpg

• Like 2

amazing the stuff that seems so much worse in theory compared to actually getting your hands into it (or the other way around sometimes :lol: ) Glad to hear it went without a hitch and you used NPORA for one of it's actual purposes and some of its assets (ie: it's helpful members like 5523Pathfinder)! :beer:

• Like 1