R50 Rear Main Leak

96Pathfinder4x4

When it rains it pours.

Finally got around to pulling the Pathy into the garage to tackle the SFD from Krypton Fabs. While helping my buddy replace his ebrake cable on his Bronco, I look in the garage and see a drip under the Pathy. Thought it might be water drops....not that lucky.

As we work on the Bronco, I see the puddle get bigger. I crawl under and see that it's coming from the bell housing. Rear main seal, I'm guessing.

From the manual, it looks like I have to remove alot just to lower the trans and get to it...so I'll be tackling that today. Maybe the SFD will put itself on when I'm not looking. :ph33r:

From the manual:

Remove/disconnect:

-Crankshaft position sensor (top of trans)

-Front and rear exhaust tubes

-Fluid charging pipe

-oil cooler pipe

-Propeller shaft (mark flanges, remove & plug rear of trans <- Going to replace this seal, while I'm in there)

-Speedo cable

-AT control cable

-AT harness connectors

-starter

-Gusset and rear plate cover (secures engine to trans)

-Bolts at torque converter (by turning crankshaft)

FINALLY - Support trans and remove rear mount bracket and bolts securing AT to engine

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

• 1 month later...

So to update: After talking to a couple of people that have had success in this area, I bought a bottle from Autozone. Don't remember the brand. It was one of the less expensive ones....about $10. I poured it in and in about 20/30 miles it stopped leaking!!!

I like how AutoGroan's site says "Radiator Cooling System" for the "Automotive System Application". Was it some thick stuff?

Well, at least you didn't throw some Lucas snot in there. If the leak stays stopped after an oil change or two, even better!