Shopping time, 2005+ Xterra or 2005 Pathfinder?

westslope

The wife is having difficulty using the clutch because of an issue with her left hip. So we require a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Only one really. so the 290,000 kilometre 1993 WD-21 pathfinder will likely be sold soon. But not until after we get the automatic shift replacement.

I would be tempted to buy a 1995 WD21 pathie with an automatic shift if I could find one in reasonable condition. But we might need more towing power soon. The 4.0 litre engines of the 2005+ Xterras have more torque and are better at pulling.

A used vehicle salesman showed me a 2005 pathfinder offroad version today. 140,000 km. Skid plates, silver grey, a little dirty, a tad rusty underneath. The salesman informed me that it was built on a truck chassis as opposed to a unibody construction.

My impression from reading these fora is that the Xterra is still viewed as a more serious offroad vehicle than the 2005 and later pathfinder.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

In the car deal, just have the, throw in a new radiator. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!

Seriously though, the 05-06's do have this issue. Though it was a small amount of vehicles that had the problem, it wouldn't hurt to throw a external trans cooler in. Yes, they are a body-on-frame design. The xterra uses a different suspension setup than the old pathfinders. Luckily, there is pleanty of support if you chose to change things up in the future. Also check the oil as some have been known to eat a bit of oil.

Check the Pathfinder for milkshake in the trans or nasty colored coolant. See here for more info.

Thanks! I read that: Nissan has decided in the interest of customer satisfaction, to further extend the warranty for the Radiator Assembly on all 2005-10 Frontier, Pathfinder, and Xterra vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.

Good to know.

In the car deal, just have the, throw in a new radiator. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!

Seriously though, the 05-06's do have this issue. Though it was a small amount of vehicles that had the problem, it wouldn't hurt to throw a external trans cooler in. Yes, they are a body-on-frame design. The xterra uses a different suspension setup than the old pathfinders. Luckily, there is pleanty of support if you chose to change things up in the future. Also check the oil as some have been known to eat a bit of oil.

The 05-06 pathfinder have a radiator issue? Good to know.

How are these pathfinders "eating oil"? Transpiration, leakage?

Well you can get an Xterra with a solid rear axles and a locker, and I think the really new ones have the fancy buttons to help you drive up or down hills, so yes you could say that is better for offroad. If you're more concerned about the towing option, the newer pathfinders have a v8 option... so pick what you want for you what you want it to do.

Edited by bigred07

The 05-06 pathfinder have a radiator issue? Good to know.

How are these pathfinders "eating oil"? Transpiration, leakage?

Some of the 4.0l have been known to suck too much oil through the PVC system(see nissan 3.5l). If ran too low, the pistons will score and the ring won't seal and eat oil also, eventually leading to mechanical failure. Replacing the valve covers and verify good compression is the way to catch it and stop it early. Around 100k is when the plugs are do and the giveaway is oil in the #5 & #6 plug holes. Not that bad of a job, IMHO.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder