Cams

wheel366

I just spoke with my mechanic today and we are trying to find out what this knocking noise is. He first thought that it was a rod knock but now isn't to sure. This knock, which sounds like taking a screw driver and taping the frame started after he aligned the cams. The person who changed the timing belt last (which is before I bought the truck) had one cam 2 - 3 teeth off. So, now he is thinking that it may be the valves.

I asked him to look at the cams and see if they are in bad shape. My question is, does anybody know the stock size of the cams in a 95? If mine are ok, then I'll leave them, but if they are all messed up, I'm going to replace them with something bigger. So, my next question is: has anybody done this and what size have you used? We do have inspection in NJ and I need to pass so I'm not sure what size to get. I guess if I do get cams, the ECU upgrade and the cone filter are all thats left. Ohh... and maybe a high flow cat. I already have him putting on the headers and have a borla exhaust on it.

Rich

You can only get one aftermarket performance camshaft set, and they run about $600 just for the cams if I remember right. It won't pass emissions if you install those.

If somebody put the belt back on with one cam way off, it would run like crap, have no power and get terrible gas mileage. I wouldn't worry about the cam, I'd worry about the valves themselves. If they got hit by pistons, you'll need new valves, not cams. Doesn't your mechanic know that the VG30 is an interference engine? Why would he check the cams before the valves?

Thanks for the info. I found 2 different sizes of cams on Jim Wolf's site and 2 different sizes on AC's site.

He is going to look at the valves too, I just wanted him to look at the cams cause I personally would like more power. I'm willing to put the money into it if it's worth it.

We'll see what happens.

You'd be better off to just go with headers and a K&N type air filter, keep it tuned up and you won't have any problems passing DEQ requirements and it'll have plenty of power.

On the cams, yeah, they make mild performance cams and a total power performance cam set, but the performance version isn't for daily drivers that usually drive stop-and-go traffic. The milder cams will still make more power than the stock cams. You also have to replace all the lifters if you replace the cams.

The lifters are all getting replaced. I'm still looking to do the intake. I have the K&N drop in filter, but haven't gotten around to doing the cone filter thing.

I guess it's up in the air if I want to get the cams.

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreaciate it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rich

I guess i still ahve some questions. Does anybody know the size of the stock cams? Also, which size then should I get?

I have found:

From AC's Site

.425"/256

.430"/262

Jim Wolf's Site

440"/260

473"/266

Still need to pass inspection so, I would assume the first one? Maybe I'll give JWT a call tomorrow and talk to them.