Major clutch problem

Badassmudsog

Ok my 88 pathfinder is having some clutch issues it started out with a leaking slave cylinder I replaced and bled it out so I've got a solid pedal but I still can't shift the car. It sat for a month due to extream smoke which I'm assuming was head gasket so I put some "stop smoke with stop leak" in it and it's calmed it down a lot but when u start it up I push in the clutch and try to shift and it feels like some thing is blocking it ... I noticed it was slightly rocking front to back when I'd try to strong arm it so I put it in low range and tryed again and it confirmed it. it actual starts rolling foreword and bogs the motor when I try to put it in 1st ... So if you have any idea or this has happened to you please fill me in ... I'm due to take a trip from va to vt on the 1st and need it done so please if you have any ideas post them and the worst I can say Is "tried it" thank you

I believe there is a bushing where the shifter connects into the tranny that can cause issues. I'd remove the shifter and see if that's your problem.

Good call on the bushings!

Totally blew past my mind, I was going straight to something complicated. LOL

I agree, check them first. At the age of the vehicle one could have split/shattered and is blocking the shift now.

Form there I would look at your shift forks.

Also, If you get under the truck with it parked and off, and look up from underneath and have a buddy move the shift lever around you may see what is causing trouble.

And I would add, maybe it needs to be bled again, since it sat up and didnt work after you did the repair.

Did you replace or put in a new seal kit on the cylinder?

On The topic, Could that same bushing be the culprit to my "falling out of gear" issue? my 5spd has roughly 400,000 km. Shift Fork retainers? or is the BL messing with the shifter boot placement on the shifter making it have tension on the higher leverage area :scratchhead:

Would it still shift fine when the engine off if the bushing is bad ? And I changed the entire slave cylender (note: the push rod is 1/2inch longer then stock) I can put it in 1st and start it and it's driveing when it starts like theirs no "clutch linkage" but I get no air from the bleader and the pedal is solid .... Also I can float shift it going down the road ... Idk if any of that helps lol ... And as for NWT87PATHY in my experience when you put a bl in a truck with a manual trany you have to make the hole in the floor bigger

How close is the shifter to the floor ... If its to close when your body flexes it might be piping it out of gear ... I would look in to a short throw kit if you don't want to mod your floor... It almost feels like the throw out barring is working fine I'm thinking the friction plate is rusted to the pressure plate ... Is that possible ... I tryed to power brake with the clutch down in 4low and all it did is power threw i figured it would have broken loose nothing happened