water pump?

Nice186

ok so i am about to buy the parts off of rockauto and i see there are two different types of timing belts, one is square tooth and the other is round, whats the differents and which is better?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too would recommend replacing it all(timing belt, water pump, thermostat, coolant bypass hose & your fan/alternator belts) if your going to delve in it. I'd get a Gates timing belt, besides for being a good brand, it has the correct timing marks labeled on the belt, which takes all the guess work out of it. Its not difficult, but rather tedious. It took me 6 hours, as there are dozens of little 10mm bolts to take out. The only specialty tool that it requires is a harmonic balancer puller. If your unsure if you can do it, its well worth the 350 for someone to do it for you as you can cause major engine damage if you mess up your timing belt. The timing belt should be replaced every 80-100k, so you might as well plan to do it all. You can get all the rubber parts for cheap off eBay.

• 11 months later...

Followup,

Water would leak one day then wouldn't the next (when I had the mechanic check it out), then leak the next day.

Ended up being too big a job for my skill level, so took it into the same shop replaced the water pump, belts timing, thermostat and no more issues of leakage.

For the cost of the work, and in hind-site I should have done the starter as well, whats $150 more when paying $ 800+ bucks, I ended up having that job done at a different time. I am not sure if anyone thinks of that one as part of maintenance with the timing belt but because of location maybe that is advisable to throw that into the list if the starter has never been replaced?