1998 Pathfinder is turning 100!

r0x

Hello to all my fellow Nissan Pathfinder fans!

My 1998 Pathfinder is about to roll past 100,000 miles. I'm the original owner, I've been taking good care of the truck, and it has served me well. I like having no car payments but it's probably time to put some $$$ into the Nissan to keep it rolling.

My questions revolve around... "What needs to be done and how much will it cost me?"

1. I know I'm due for a timing belt replacement - how much should it cost to have it done? (Doing it myself is not an option.)

2. Replace water pump at the same time? Extra cost when doing the timing belt at the same time?

3. Suspension issues? What needs to be replaced and what will it cost?

4. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

:beer:

r0x

Thanks for the reply - I have the owner's manual but the on-line tool is great! (100,000 miles = 160,000 km for the metrically challenged... ) What will it cost me to have this work done in the U.S.? (I entered 168,000 km in the on-line tool to force the 105,000 mile timing belt issue...) Thanx, r0x. :beer:

I quoted the timing belt job at two dealers, it included the timing belt, tensioner, thermostat, radiator hoses, water pump, cam seals, crank seal and new belts. Both quotes were around $1000. I ended up ordering the parts for around $250 and will do the work in the next couple of weeks.

It is considered a good idea to replace the water pump with the timing belt. A few people have posted really high estimates for this - I'm not sure why it would fluxuate so much. I had my timing belt and water pump replaced in October 2004, at 100,000 miles, and it cost $550. at Darlings Nissan in Bangor, Maine. Same day repair service, no problems.

Reciept was:

Timing belt = 47.00

Water pump = 106.

Rad hose = 21

seals = 15

gasket = 5

anti freeze = 7

labor = 350

note that my belts did not need to be replaced - that can add $200 or so.

Suspension issues are fairly minimal on Pathfinders - usually you'll replace front struts and rear shocks at or before 100,0000 miles. Some Pathys have troubles with the control arm bushings wearing out. If you want aftermarket coils springs there a few options. For less than a thousand bucks, you can pretty much put a brand new factory or aftermarket suspension under the pathy, which is nice, since the rest of the truck seems to last forever.

m.

Thanks again for all replies - I'll have to adjust my holiday shopping accordingly... Are there obvious symptoms of suspension problems? I have a slight vibration at certain speeds (tires are rotated / balanced regularly) but it's nothing that I haven't felt since I've had the truck. Regards, r0x :beer:

I am in the process of preparing for the 100k maintenance overhaul...

Make sure your exhaust manifold studs aren't broken, I have a '96 that just turned

past 100k and learned that mine needs replaced. I thought that didn't happen to

the R50's but mine must have had some leftover '95 parts put in it... :angry:

There's a 100k warranty extension on the manifold and stud replacement thru

Nissan.

Don't forget fuel filter and spark plugs - Bosch Platinum 4's are great.

I had all my belts done when i had my crank shaft pulley replaced that cost me about 170-ish give or take.

and as far as the exhaust manifold bolts. i had that problem a year or two ago- I've a 97 with 115K on her- and the dealer took care of the whole thing as a recall. :contract: So I'd check with your local dealer before paying to have someone else do it.

BTW: the estimate for the timing belt- given at the time they were going to do my crank shaft pulley (they said it would save me 40 bucks to do it all at once-wow. (sarcastic)) was $670. with no WP addition. I didn't have it $$ so i didn't do it-yet. :shrug: