Rear Springs

ennacac

My 2002 Pathfinder SE 5-speed sits low in the rear and I would like to put it back to where it should be, any ideas on what springs to purchase to make this happen. Also, if I replace the speedometer module with one from a LE, will that give me the computer features such as mileage, temp, etc, or wont's the LE version work in the SE??

Tom

Edited by ennacac

How low is your backside drooping? If it's only 1/2" to 1" sag and you just want to get by for a *little while* ...and you aren't doing hard 4-wheeling, I'd suggest getting a pair of coil-spring spacers from O'Reilly's or Pep Boys (they're around $10 or so). I replaced the upper spring perch rubber "seat" with these and restored my rear end's height. Took me a whole 45 min to throw them in there (be careful of the rear brakelines) and it's worked very well. I've even gone against my advice and done some mild 4-wheeling and the rear performed just fine.

Caveat: Again, this is only a temporary fix to get me to next spring when I'll probably spring (no pun intended) for an OME lift set.

Lastly, I can't take credit for this as I found a similar post on the IH8MUD site for 4-Runners and Tacomas.

Here's what I used: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00029K20W

Cheers,

Al

Edited by ascdesigns

Yes sir, but only the bottom bolts to free the shock. Then also unbolt the brake line "splitter" block on the axle and you've got plenty of slack in the brake lines. Lastly, you need to unbolt the connection at the swaybar ends.

Hope that helps!

- Al

Doh! One more thing to unbolt - the panhard rod where it connects to the rear axle. It sounds like you're unbolting a whole lotta things, but really, it's not that much. It does make it easier to have an impact gun (mine's electric and it works great).

Edited by ascdesigns

Any ideas of switching the Speedometer cluster from a LE to my SE to get the computer info?

Tom

You might want to start a new thread about that (or edit the title if you can?) because people might just read rear spring and not see the other problem in your thread.

How low is your backside drooping? If it's only 1/2" to 1" sag and you just want to get by for a *little while* ...and you aren't doing hard 4-wheeling, I'd suggest getting a pair of coil-spring spacers from O'Reilly's or Pep Boys (they're around $10 or so). I replaced the upper spring perch rubber "seat" with these and restored my rear end's height. Took me a whole 45 min to throw them in there (be careful of the rear brakelines) and it's worked very well. I've even gone against my advice and done some mild 4-wheeling and the rear performed just fine.

Caveat: Again, this is only a temporary fix to get me to next spring when I'll probably spring (no pun intended) for an OME lift set.

Lastly, I can't take credit for this as I found a similar post on the IH8MUD site for 4-Runners and Tacomas.

Here's what I used: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00029K20W

Cheers,

Al

Not meaning to beat on a dead horse, but if I understand correctly you ripped out everything from the TOP spring perch? Then seated the donut up in there, then lowered your Pathy onto it?

I'm just double checking, as the back of the package notes to "screw" these into the upper portion of the spring. I think I also read online about replacing the bottom perch by a qualified mechanic...I dont think Pathy's qualify for bottom perch rubber-safety wise.

Thanks! I picked up a pair of these, and hope to install over the weekend.

NP on beating a dead horse - I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I didn't rip out "everything" from the top perch. The "jounce" or "bump stops are still bolted up there - you kinda want them to stay. It's only the 1/2" or so thick rubber spring seat that I replaced with the newer spacer. The bottom spring perch is basically metal spring against metal perch (there may be a plastic tube over the last winding on the spring). Does that make sense?

- Al

Doh! One more thing to unbolt - the panhard rod where it connects to the rear axle. It sounds like you're unbolting a whole lotta things, but really, it's not that much. It does make it easier to have an impact gun (mine's electric and it works great).

Just a comment, when I put my ironman springs in, all i disconnected was the shocks and links, I used a compressor to get the old one out and new ones in.

So far, I am pretty happy with the ironman coils, aside from the fact that they aren't as tall as the AC truck around here the exact same color! >:)

(but no CV probs with the auto hubs yet!)

NP on beating a dead horse - I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I didn't rip out "everything" from the top perch. The "jounce" or "bump stops are still bolted up there - you kinda want them to stay. It's only the 1/2" or so thick rubber spring seat that I replaced with the newer spacer. The bottom spring perch is basically metal spring against metal perch (there may be a plastic tube over the last winding on the spring). Does that make sense?

- Al

- I had a pretty bad scare yesterday doing 35mph (in a 40mph zone) and all most lost control! Rather than scotch taping my suspension I just bought new springs, shocks & trailing arms off rock auto, pretty good price...

My folks are visiting in 2 weeks and might borrow my Pathy - not worth the scare (or worse). Hopefully the new setup will be safe untill spring. Then I'd like to go for a 2" spring lift. I'll see if anyone would like the regular springs on here or over at Nico for shipping cost.

--I'm just now wondering if I can get by after a spring lift with the same shocks (KYB GA), or it they would have to be longer?? Also I'll have spare trailing arms I can put better bushing in for the lift. Not the best timing, but better safe than sorry!

--Also thanks again for the tips...

I swapped out the passenger side spring & shock yesterday. Also swapped out the spring isolator for the aftermarket one as scdesigns had suggested. MAN that aftermarket one I have smells awfull!!! Must be the rubber/plastic they use, but mine smells like it is leaching gasoline or something, they stank up my kitchen untill I triple bagged them...

My OEM spring isolator (aka rubber donut) was still intact, but is all mushy-like a wet sponge...

I wonder if the spring isolator started out soft, or just got that way over time?

Ride seems safe and is markedly improved!

I bought Raybestos springs, seem to be OEM equivalent. And KYB gas adjust shocks.

Might get to the drivers side today, and the trailing arms (if i can get the hard wear ).

--a bit of an extra expense untill I do a spring lift, but safe! I'm not prepared to tackle the front suspension now anyways...