4-low problem

Rybob

Hi all,

New guy here. I've got a 96 Pathy 4x4 with LSD. I seem to have a problem engaging 4 low. At first i thought i was just too afraid to tug on the shifter as i can't get the shifter to go in but now i'm starting to think something is up.

It shifts into 4-High fine and i get the little light on my dash telling me its engaged, but for some reason i just can't get it to want to go in 4-Low. I've got it in neutral when i try and shift, it simply won't go. No noises, no grinds. Just won't get there. Its a weird problem and i've used the search function and my Haynes manual and still no dice. Sorry if there is another thread i missed. I tried searching more than once.

If there is anything i can do to troubleshoot this further i would appreciate input. I currently moved out of the desert (Phoenix) to Flagstaff, Arizona and i'm due to drive in snow for the first time in a month or two, and boy would i love 4wd to work when i get to experience that.

Are you pushing the lever downwards while shifting?

When you shift to 4L, the tranny should be in neutral. Then, in order to shift from 4H to 4L, push the transfer case lever downward (towards the floor), then quickly pull it all the way back (while continuing to push down), then let the lever pop back up slightly (to "lock it in" 4L). Do not pause at all when shifting. Do it in one, swift motion. It should take under 1 second.

You have to push down on the shifter while pulling it back. Like, push it into the floor, along its longitudinal axis, and pull it back at the same time.

(Hahah, simultaneous post. Oh well.)

Edited by Howie

Oh wow do i feel dumb and relieved at the same time. Never had a truck that does that before. Thanks guys! I will take feeling dumb because a question any day over feeling dumb because i replaced perfectly fine parts! Looks like i get to go offroad this weekend :laugh:

Now on to that AC lift!

Just started my job up here two days ago, but it will definetely be on soon! I will create a pic heavy thread when the time comes! :laugh:

Edited by Rybob