Help me with your (un)biased opinions - to buy or not to buy ;-)

Hey y'all, So I'm back... sort of... maybe.

I'm debating the purchase of another R50 (my 1998 died about 2 years ago). I've found a 1997 in very, very good shape. Zero rust (especially none near the strut towers), two owners and all the major work has been done within the last 10-20K miles: timing belt, clutch, struts, lower rear control arms, tires, all fluids changed. No major leaks as far as I can see. CarFax is clean (and how I found out about it having only two owners).

The only kicker is it has 170K miles. It's low for a 1997 but there's still a voice in the back of my head saying it's pretty high. Lastly, I can get it for about $2500. Thoughts? Is this a no-brainer? I know my question is probably like asking the pope if he should pray, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I'll be using this for car camping (100-1000 mile trips), ski days/weekends (150-200 mile trips), and runs to Home Depot. I've got a MINI Cooper for my local commuting, grocery runs and canyon twisties.

Thanks (for your un/biased opinions)!

- Al

Edited by ascdesigns

Miles don't mean much if it's been well taken care of and serviced, in my opinion. Do you know whether the engine oil and filter were changed regularly? How about the manual transmission fluid? Is this Pathy 4WD?

What do you mean by "no major leaks"? Are there some small leaks or weeping?

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks all.

Oil and filter changes have been done consistently and receipts have been saved. I guess I was over zealous with my "no major leaks" statement; there really aren't any. I think I saw a little dried oil/dirt around the valve covers but nothing "wet" to indicate a flowing leak. It is 4WD, and as mentioned earlier all fluids have been changed recently.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow morning and if all goes well, I may pull the trigger. If there are any other opinions or suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.

Al

Edited by ascdesigns

$2500 seems like a fair price for something that has had the major work recently done. Try to talk the owner down a little bit and see what you can get it for? Rust would be my only concern since you are in a "salt" state.

Well, I got it! Woohoo! It's funny, it looks nearly exactly like my previous one: gold, blue-grey seats, except this one's a manual. I did find a couple of things to do right away: replaced the front brake pads (originals had about 1/4 left) and did an oil change for the sake of it. It does need tie-rod ends, I can feel the looseness and light clunking sounds from the front. I wiggled the tire side to side while jacked up and put my had on the outer tie-rod ball joint - definitely loose. Lower control arm ball joints are still good though - whew!

devonianwalk - I don't think Colorado is a salt state. We use magnesium-chloride which yes, is a salt but it's used pretty sparingly here. It's the gravel they spray that kills everyone's windshields about once every year or two.

Can't believe I'm doing this but here a link to some used warn hubs in your part of the state. Which I would jump on if I had my pathy, not yet in Sept. But at $100 with studs its a great deal. Even if you need to get the service kit.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3046221413.html

If he even still has them.