Help! Ignition tumbler stuck?

Hi-my key will not turn in the ignition-any ideas???

Have tried:

Spare key, turning wheel, stepping on brake etc etc.

Have just sprayed dry graphite & wriggled key.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I've had the same thing happen to me in Feb. this year.

The steering was locked and the ignition key/lock would not turn at all.

I tried for hours and even used WD40 and two other keys that I had.

Nothing worked and I eventually ended up dismantleing the entire assembly and taking off the lock set allowing me to unlock the steering and let me start the vehicle using a screwdriver.

This was a pain in the butt since you must have the "chip key" by the sensor in order for me to even attempt to start.

I ordered a new lock set online and installed it myself. I then had to go to a dealer to have the new "chip key" that came with the new lock set reprogrammed to use the old "key code."

The bottom line is that I think that these lock sets are faulty as threre was no previous indication that the lock was going bad. It never got stuck before. This "project" cost me $120 for the lock set and $220 to have it "reprogrammed" by the dealer (who said that it was going to take 2 hours of labor and robbed me blind).

My advice is for you to get it replaced before you are inconvenienced. If this decides to lock up at the wrong time of day and at the wrong place, it could possibly end up costing you more (having it towed or having it towed to the dealer).

Good luck anyways.

Hi-thanks for the replies, appreciate it! And I agree if something similar happens to you have it replaced ASAP. Dang I'm in the midst of moving apartments, and doing extra shifts (someone had a meltdown and walked out at work). Not having the Pathy in service is a tad inconvenient, plus messing with my sleep schedule is just happy joy funtime...could be worse though.

Mine seems like "Tightos" above-the ignition key locking mechanism has failed.

I got it home, then out of habit turned the key to the "off" position out of habit (Ooops!!!). The key will not turn again (tried and tried, sleept then tried again) , but at least I got it home and got a few hours sleep. The dealer said that the tumbler failed (there are small parts/springs etc that wear out over time)-first car that this has happened to for me anyways. No warning, no difficulties with it etc, then just wouldn't turn.

Sounds as though I may have to do some similar procedure as Tightos above to get my Pathy to the dealer. They have a new ignition cylinder ordered for me, they should have it in the AM.

---? Can I drill out the current cylinder where our key normally goes and use a screw driver, with my chip key tapped near there or something? Currenty, I can't imagine that I could get a tow (car is in park, and no way a flatbed can get into my driveway...)

Thanks.

Maybe jam the key in there (so it reads the chip) and then hotwire it? Looks easy on the WD21, but I'll bet the R50 has all kinds of nice antitheft stuff to get in your way.

I'd suggest a junkyard ignition, but if you can't get out of your driveway, I don't suppose that's really an option.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Thanks for the suggestion Slartibartfast.

Anyone know how to "hot wire" a 1999.5? Ive never hotwired a car.

That's why I'm wondering if I can drill the lock tumbler with a small drill and just use a screw driver to turn the ignition (with my key/attached somehow).

-I do have another car, but REALLY need my Pathy back on the road ASAP. If I wasnt amidst moving itd be less of a bother. Oh well..,

Well, just called my local tow company, they "think" they can get my Pathy out of my driveway.

Also, the dealer mentioned our shift release, its a little plastic square top right of shifter-acrossed from the letter "P". Pop it off and there is a little button-shift unlocked, now it in neutral.

So at least it might be able to be towed on a regular truck (flatbed will not fit and turn in driveway).

So at least it might be able to be towed on a regular truck (flatbed will not fit and turn in driveway).

Make sure the tow truck driver places the rear wheels on dollies so you don't burn up your transmission.

Make sure the tow truck driver places the rear wheels on dollies so you don't burn up your transmission.

Or do u think it will be ok to tow in neutral about 3 miles to the dealer?

Thanks!

Got a tow truck & out of my drive ok. They have a bar that can lift at a 90 degree angle, pretty nifty.

Dealer days it's the ignition cylinder needs replaced. They could throw a different cylinder in (ie 1 key for ignition & my original for doors) , and save 95$. I figured it's so dangled expensive already why not just keep my original keyset. Will cost me all most as much as the AC 2" spring lift I had been thinking about. Ouch!

They could throw a different cylinder in (ie 1 key for ignition & my original for doors)

Yeah, I'm in that club. I thought my cylinder was going bad so I had to have mine towed a year or two after I bought mine (used). It turned out that after the dealership pulled my old ignition out the technician discovered a burned out aftermarket alarm brain that the PO had installed. I just use my FOB for locking/unlocking the doors.

Will cost me all most as much as the AC 2" spring lift I had been thinking about. Ouch!

That really sucks!