2K QX4 Lift

Tad

Been collecting stuff for awhile now and took this weekend and today to hit it hard as we have our annual Ouray road trip coming up in 3 weeks.

OME Front Springs = 2928 HD (Rocky Road)

OME Rear Springs = 2922 MD (Rocky Road)

KYB GR2 Struts = KYB Part # 335030 - right, KYB Part # 335031 - left (Amazon)

Rancho Shocks = RS 5010 - 26.8" extended, 15.8 compressed, static = 21.5" (Desert Rat)

Warn Premium Hubs = 29021 (Amazon)

Strut Bearings = 54325-5V000 (Nissan)

I don't recall all the prices as we have been collecting since last August but I do encourage folks to shop around, we found a wide range of prices on most items.

We already went up to a 255/70R16 tire size with the Wrangler Silent Armor w/Kevlar tires so the following measurements will be off from pre to post lift if running a stock tire size. These tires measure 29.5" fully loaded.

Pre-Lift: (measuring at the lip of the wheel well for the most part)

Front = 32"

Rear = 33"

Rear Shock Distance = 19.25"

Camber = Dead on at 0*

CV Shaft = 4*

Post Lift:

Front = 34.5"

Rear = 35.25"

Rear Shock Distance = 21.5"

Camber = 89* (in at bottom now)

CV Shaft = 18* (I'll remeasure this with wheels in the air to see how close to 32* it is)

I have to say right off that a tool like the one below makes this a whole lot easier. I messed with my HF strut tool for about 15 min, decided I like most of my body parts (and want to keep them) then called my friend Casey who works in a shop.

06strutcompressor.jpg

Makes quick work of this.

04strutsandcoils.jpg

I'm a fan of the Rancho 5000's and these fit fine but are a bit sloppy. The install kit does not include the proper sleeve for the top bushing but I had some left over from another set (probably my D21). Top shock mount is a little wide so I just tweaked it together a bit more than normal.

06shocks.jpg

I don't like that lower shock bracket much. I may redesign that for some better clearance when I have more time.

The studs that came with the Warn hubs look longer but when installed actually bottom out deeper and wound up even shorter. I also broke one just tightening it by hand. Took the warn studs out, cleaned up the old ones and reinstalled those.

01hub.jpg

They fit perfectly through the QX4 Tri-Spoke rims.

What I don't have is a good set of before and after pic's. I got what I got but I should have thought ahead and tried to capture the same angles.

This is with the rear done and the front on my floor jack to where I was hoping it would wind up.

Prior to this I could only get about 3 fingers in between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well.

02rear.jpg

Here we are done.

05springsdone.jpg

Here was when the larger tires went on (no lift).

100_0390.jpg

Here it is from Day 1 when we picked it up, Stock height, stock bald tires.

02left.jpg

Waiting on Nissan to get my replacement sway bar links here from LA, one was so badly corroded I had to destroy it to get the front apart.

Then it's off to the alignment shop to make sure everything is in spec, or close enough, not sure how much adjustment there actually is camber wise.

I don't post much here but I read a lot. I really want to thank the members here for there documentation efforts, without that I doubt I would have even bothered looking into this lift.

I hope this helps some folks decide if they want to lift and/or how much.

Thanks,

Tad

• Like 3

I think that's a very nice write-up. Always nice to see these go up in the air a bit.

Have fun in Ouray (one of my favorite places on earth).

• Like 1

...Have fun in Ouray (one of my favorite places on earth).

I do it every July, amazing country there.

Time for some Legos and 31s!

Not worth the $$ for just another 1/2" right now.

When these tires wear a bit we might rethink that.

Thanks for posting the pics and info on your lift. I agree with Rick in that it's nice to see another R50 "go up in the air a bit".

You are most welcome, probably how they should have come from the factory.

very nice :D

though it's weird, when I was looking for rancho shocks a while back, there is no part number for our qx4's

I used a spreadsheet that I created from several sources on the web years ago.

We use an EB1 mount at the bottom and a EB1 mount with a sleeve at the top, pretty much what older FSJ's use without the sleeve (I think they may call this an L1 mount now).

The spreadsheet gives the lengths (compressed and extended) and the corresponding part numbers for the Rancho 9K and 5K series shocks, from that a good parts person can find comparable shocks for most brands.

A little OT but from what I have heard ProComp is making all the Rancho and Monroe shocks now (that may not be recent news).

Recommended Rancho shock part numbers for Nissan Pathfinder/QX4 R50:

Stock suspension

RS-5000 shocks: RS5116

Extended Length (in) 24.000 in.

Collapsed Length (in) 14.875 in.

Upper Mount Eyelet

Lower Mount Eyelet

RS-9000XL shocks: RS99916 (not recommended because its diameter is too wide and will interfere with the panhard rod bracket)

Extended Length (in) 23.750 in.

Collapsed Length (in) 15.000 in.

Body Diameter (in) 2.750 in.

Upper Mount Eyelet

Lower Mount Eyelet

2" lifted suspension

RS-5000 shocks: RS5010

Extended Length (in) 26.250 in.

Collapsed Length (in) 15.870 in.

Upper Mount Eyelet

Lower Mount Eyelet

RS-9000XL shocks: RS999010 (not recommended because its diameter is too wide and will interfere with the panhard rod bracket)

Extended Length (in) 26.000 in.

Collapsed Length (in) 16.125 in.

Body Diameter (in) 2.750 in.

Upper Mount Eyelet

Lower Mount Eyelet

Better alternatives to the Rancho 9000 shocks are Pro-Comps with similar dimensions or Bilsteins. For 2" lift applications, here are the recommended Bilstein part numbers:

5125: 33-185552 (aka F4-BE5-6248-H5)

5150: 25-186307

5165: 25-187717

For the SFD+2" AC lift (6" total lift), use:

Bilstein 5150: 25-101980

Edited by XPLORx4

RS-9000XL shocks: RS999010 (not recommended because its diameter is too wide and will interfere with the panhard rod bracket)

I'm not trying to contradict, but thought I should throw this out there...

I never had an issue with my 9000's coming in to contact with the PHB or bracket and neither does the guy who wheels with them now. I've heard this is a concern before, but not until I had already been running them for over a year. Ran them for 3.5 years on about 80 trails without issue. I believe they are the same part number as above (IIRC they were listed for a 2000 Dodge Durango w/3" lift).

Edited by Rick13

Sorry to confuse folks. I should have clarified that older R50 Pathfinders whose suspension geometry has rear shocks mounted at an angle will have panhard bracket clearance issues. Newer R50's with the revised rear shock placement should be OK.

I don't remember when the shock configuration (non-angled) was revised. I think it was introduced starting with the 99.5 model.

I should add that 4x4parts sells RS999112 shocks as part of their suspension package, but the valving on that shock is way too soft. IMHO, the firmer valving on the 999010 (same length as the 9112) makes it a better choice for the R50.

Edited by XPLORx4