How to use Low gear selector?

Hi all!

this is probably an embarrassing question to ask, but how do I use the low gear selector thats next to the automatic tranny shifter? all the time ive had with my qx, ive never touched it.

there is H then N then 4LO

my question is, what is the appropriate way to shift it?

when i put the tranny in neutral, and i try to shift it, it makes a grinding noise, but it works fine when i turn the engine off and put the tranny shifter into N then try to shift the low gears. Should the engine be off, and the tranny be in a certain position before shifting the low gear selector?

id appreciate any help :D

Also by putting it into 4LO as opposed to H, what does it do when the all wheel drive mode is set to lock? or when it is set to 2 wheel drive?

Think of the transfer case as a manual transmission with no synchronizers.

The real transmission should be in park or neutral (though park does nothing if the t-case is in neutral), wait a few seconds, and then slowly pull the handle to the 4LO position. It may still make a grinding noise for a quick second.

• Like 1

Hi all!

this is probably an embarrassing question to ask, but how do I use the low gear selector thats next to the automatic tranny shifter? all the time ive had with my qx, ive never touched it.

there is H then N then 4LO

my question is, what is the appropriate way to shift it?

when i put the tranny in neutral, and i try to shift it, it makes a grinding noise, but it works fine when i turn the engine off and put the tranny shifter into N then try to shift the low gears. Should the engine be off, and the tranny be in a certain position before shifting the low gear selector?

id appreciate any help :D

When shifting between 4H and 4L, the transfer case lever passes through a neutral position. If the transfer case is in neutral too long, small frictional forces in the transmission cause the t-case input shaft to free-spin, which causes the grinding when you attempt to shift it into 4L. To avoid this, use one smooth, swift motion to shift from 4H to 4L:

First, stop the vehicle completely and keep your foot on the brake pedal, then shift the transmission to "N". Next, push downward on the shift lever while pulling it back all the way to 4L. Do not release downward pressure until the lever is all the way back. Accomplish this very quickly (within 1 second) to avoid the grinding sound.

Also by putting it into 4LO as opposed to H, what does it do when the all wheel drive mode is set to lock? or when it is set to 2 wheel drive?

When AWD mode is set to "2WD" then no power is transferred to the front wheels. When the AWD mode is in normal configuration ("unlocked"), power transfer is dynamic between front and rear wheels, allowing for smooth and safe AWD operation on pavement. AWD mode set to "Lock" means your front and rear driveshafts become mechanically locked together so that the power transfer to front and rear axles is fixed at 50:50. This allows you to drive on very rough terrain and will maximize traction.

In 4H, the transfer case gear ratio is 1:1, which means it doesn't have any effect on your speed. However, 4L changes the gear ratio of the transfer case to about 2:1 for use on steep or very rough terrain. This effectively cuts in half the maximum speed you can reach in any transmission gear. In 4H, if your max speed in 1st gear is 35mph (engine at redline), then in 4L your max speed will be something like 18mph.

• Like 1

There are step by step instructions printed on a plastic card on your drivers side sun visor.

yup i read em, and i still made the grinding noise, which because of all the replies, i know now my mistake was taking to long in shifting H to 4LO

thanks for all the replies :D