Cannot read CEL Codes 99 Pathfinder

jwbehm

I had my valve cover gasket replaced at home a few weeks ago and the Service Engine Soon light has been on ever siince. I would take it back to where I had it worked on but I currently live several hours from there. I just went to Autozone and Advanced to have the codes read and both scanners had errors when trying to read the codes. Is there any fuse/ relay that I should check? I checked a lot of the fuses that I thought could possibly affect it and they were all good.

Thanks for any help!

Jordan

Are you sure that all of the wiring harnesses and hoses were properly reconnected? IIRC there were something like six wiring harnesses on the left bank valve cover alone!

Its funny you said that, there was a wiring harness bracket that the mechanic left sitting on the windshield. I assumed a bracket wouldnt really affect anything. Does nt having a wiring harness bracket make it so the codes dont read?

What do you mean by wiring harness "bracket"? I would assume that it should be assisting a wiring harness somewhere? Take a good look around the top of the engine and follow all of the wires and make sure that everything looks like it's in place. Put your hands on them and make sure that they are all snug with each other. Other than that ... :shrug:

Now that I look at it again I dont see how this could be the cause

IMAG0108.jpg

No idea where that goes

That is the cruise control cable holder, its mounted just about the top puller tensioner, its not "necessarily" needed, but i would put it back on just to keep that cable out of the way.

But i just did my gaskets awhile ago as well, basically took off the entire engine harness, but like devon said, make sure everything is plug in correctly (every plug on the part of the harness only plugs into its identical female plug, no two plugs are the same, which makes things very easy) and after you have done that, make sure that they are ALL the way plug in.

Mine wouldn't turn over on first start because an injector wasn't fully snapped into place.

Don't be afraid to dive in, its very simple when you look at it.

Let us know if anything new develops.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

That is the cruise control cable holder, its mounted just about the top puller tensioner, its not "necessarily" needed, but i would put it back on just to keep that cable out of the way.

But i just did my gaskets awhile ago as well, basically took off the entire engine harness, but like devon said, make sure everything is plug in correctly (every plug on the part of the harness only plugs into its identical female plug, no two plugs are the same, which makes things very easy) and after you have done that, make sure that they are ALL the way plug in.

Mine wouldn't turn over on first start because an injector wasn't fully snapped into place.

Don't be afraid to dive in, its very simple when you look at it.

Let us know if anything new develops.

-Kyle

Yeah I'm not afraid to get into it, I typically do all of my own repairs and maintenance, but that was on my old Toyota. This pathfinder is surprisingly different and I'm just not familiar with this engine at all. Im about to go tinker with, will let yall know if I figure it out. Thanks for the help

faintthud.gifI'm effin' impressed man. I had no clue what that was!

hahaha thanks man.

Four try's at a timing belt change i guess is how i know that.

@ OP, its fun working on these things, they are so painfully simple if you have a basic understanding of how an engine works.

But my first suggestion would be download the service manuals if you haven't already, i practically live on those things, have them all saved on my phone, and at my buddies "Shop" computer, saved my truck more than once.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123