driver's window will go down, but not up

Ok, so I got a text from my wife stating that the driver's side window will go down, but won't go up. She got my '97 Pathy home and went to check it out. When I press the switch for it to go down or up, I do hear the window motor running - good sign, I thought. I proceeded to pull the door panel off and I was able to get my hand in there and push the window back to the top. Once I got it back up, I pressed the down button and it went. Tried for up and nothing. I hear the motor trying to work, but the window doesn't move. Before I decided to tear this entire door apart or just get it up and leave it up for now - does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if I have to take the motor out or anything like that, how much of a challenge is it? What should be considered?

Thanks!

Edited by dikolaffub

Don't know if it is much different than on my 94 but it was pretty easy to remove the regulator and motor on mine, what I did when my window wouldn't go up, ( but my motor was not running), I unbolted the glass from the regulator (2 10mm bolts bottom of glass), manually raised the glass to full closed position and used 2 wooden shims to hold the glass up, than un plug the motor plug and removed the 4 bolts holding the regulator in, 2 top, 2 bottom, than un bolt the motor from the door, 3 bolts I think, remove the regulator and motor through the large opening in the inner door panel.

The regulator uses metal cables to move the glass up and down, possibly the one for the up direction is off the pulley or broken, I know they are pretty tough I tried cutting one in the junkyard one time and could not.

Regulator with out motor $15 from rockauto, link to the pic so you can see how the regulator works below:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1059044

yeah, I have a feeling the window regulator may be shot. I pulled it out so I could take a look at it. When I got it out, I connected it without the window and it seemed to go up and down just fine. I'm guessing that the weight of the window is now too much for the regulator/motor to handle? Anyways, I bought some eletrconics parts cleaner and some silicone spray, cleaned off the switches and siliconed the outside tracks and the window track. It didn't help, so I would imagine I'll have to replace either the motor istself or the whole assembly. I'm leaning towards the whole assembly. I mean, it's only $10 more, so why not?

ANyone have any further ideas? One more thing I noticed is that when I push the putton for down, it's autoated to take it to the bottom. Upon doing so, it won't release, it just keeps going. Does this sound like the switch is bad too?

My money is on the drivers master control (mirrors, windows switchs) I just had the same problem yesterday with a non-nissan truck but it was my passager side window that wouldnt close. It went down fine but ouldnt go up.

yeah, I was curious about that master control. But, if there's an issue with the MC, why would the window motor be running like it wants to push the window up when I pull the switch?

not saying this applies to your problem but you may want to check this while you have the motor out, when my window wouldn't go up all I did was take the cover off the motor and wipe all the copper windings off and put the cover back on, it's been working ever since. Just if you take the cover off the motor make sure to mark it so it goes on the same way it came off or the motor will run backwards, I did this the first time, pressed down and the window went up !! DUH !! LOL

I've had problems with the regulator before. There is a plastic clip that holds the cable sheathing to the regulator frame that breaks and lets the sheathing move instead of the cable. The window would go all the way down but not up. When I pulled it up it had a lot of slack as the sheathing would move around. Once up it stayed in place with no problems.

James

Ok, I got it handled. Turns out it was the window lifter motor. I went ahead and took the panel off and taped the window up and took the window regulator assembly out. I opened up the motor to see if maybe there was dirt or something jamming it. Turns out it was actually the gearing mechanism that broke loose somehow. With the door open and the master switch still connected so I could run the motor on its own, I hooked it up and held the square peg that runs the cables. Basically, I could hold the motor still when pushing the buttons to run it. Went to autozone and picked up a new window lifter motor for $40 and I'm back in business.

Thanks for all the suggestions!