Pathfinder offroad capabilities

BeeWA

G'Day. I live in the desert, by the sea in remote NW Western Australia. I have just purchased a second 4X4, a 2002 petrol Pathfinder with the 2wd/Auto/4wdHi/4wdLo. It will be used for getting to the beach across dirt/sand tracks for fishing and camping. I would like to know it's capabilities. I won't be "rock crawling" or deep water crossing. My other 4X4 is a Patrol which I have had to engage 4X4 low to get me out of sand a few times.It is standard with no mods.

I live remote so have to be able to depend on my truck to get me home.

So far it's great on the tracks in Auto and 4wdHi but I would like to know how good is the 4wdLo ? Obviously it's a lot lighter than my Patrol but how good is the Lo ratio ?

BeeWA

hows it goin bud . im sw WA bunbury ......to be honest my d21 gets abit hot on the sand and i dont really like running it on it . until i upgrade the cooling system.. i will be stayin away from it. but other wise off road she goes where the land cruisers and patrols go........... awesome machine

Welcome to the forum mate. 4lo is a pretty high ratio gear & to be honest I've never used it. I do mostly desert runs out here in California, & 2wd works most of the time unless it's really steep or maybe loose sand or rocks. 4lo can be a bit too low for sand as it's very easy to start spinning if you even touch the throttle. I would say it's really only for towing another truck out of trouble or something like that. I could be wrong though, maybe someone else has used it for different things. :welcome:

With at least some good tires and maybe an Old Man Emu lift, your r50 should be just fine for some beach driving and moderate trail use. I've been nothing but amazed at the capabilities of my "car50". I still haven't needed to engage 4lo on it either, through quite a bit of desert driving, nothing very extreme tho. I have used 4lo just for climbing over some sandy hills for fun. There's this one hill I like a lot; in 2wd I have to approach at 5-10 mph and in 4lo I barely have to tap the gas to keep it from stalling and it crawls right up. Hope this helps... Welcome, and enjoy your new Pathy!