Question about VG30

ahardb0dy

Was just wondering maybe someone here would know,

I want to see if I someone can figure out what vehicle the first JDM engine I bought that I had installed in my 87 hardbody years ago came out of. The engine had ribbed belts on it and a belt driven fan so I know it came out of a rear wheel drive vehicle. I bought this engine around 1995 I think so it had to be a few years old when it was pulled from what ever vehicle it came out of. Also the fuel injection looked different than any I had ever seen. I know the guy who did the swap for me had to change the valve covers also. Just looked on Nissan FAST for Japan and I saw a pic of a VG30 that has a exhaust tube that runs behind the engine connecting the exhaust manifolds I beleive the engine I bought had that also.

Just trying to figure out what the engine may have come out of.

Thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

AFAIK, there is no super cool JDM version of the VG, but Infiniti M30's and the Z31 300ZX have the cross over run behind the engine in the bay, instead of under it like the Pathfinders.

your talking about the vg30et engine by the sound of it. Came out in the z31.

As well as a few other models

Edited by wax

All Z31s, turbo and not, and M30's had the crossover run behind the engine. All others had the crossover underneath the engine at, or around the bell housing area. The W series head was a modification they made to the intake runners in 4/87 that was good for 5hp. It smoothed the flow of the air.

The quest definitely has the rear crossover. I had to change mine because the flexible section started leaking. That was about as much fun as getting kicked in the gonads by a mule!

James

The quest definitely has the rear crossover. I had to change mine because the flexible section started leaking. That was about as much fun as getting kicked in the gonads by a mule!

James

Of course the crossover is at the rear, the Quest is wrong wheel drive!

I remember the intake manifold did not look like one I had ever seen before, a guy I worked with at the time had a 300Z and I looked at his and it didn't look like the intake the Z had either, so the engine had to come out of a rear wheel drive vehicle due to the belt driven fan, I know at the time in US models there were only a few vehicles that came with a V6 and were rear wheel drive, but JDM I don't know all the vehicles. Plus the ribbed belts which the pathfinder and hardbody did not use.

Of course the crossover is at the rear, the Quest is wrong wheel drive!

Yea I know but sometimes you just got to get a woman what she wants or you'll never hear the end of it! I convinced her to get an xterra in 1999 when they first came out. All we could find that had the options we wanted had a 5 speed. For a year and a half I heard bitchin about that transmission so I stayed out of it when she wanted to trade it in 2001. A smart married man knows when to keep his mouth shut! It's been a very good vehicle so far so I can't complain.

James

I think I remember the intake manifold being grey and kind of looking like a spider sitting on top, been a long time but I know I never saw one that looked like it???

I think I remember the intake manifold being grey and kind of looking like a spider sitting on top, been a long time but I know I never saw one that looked like it???

Sounds like a z31 or an m30 with the beauty cover removed...