Debris on trans dipstick?

Towncivilian

I checked my transmission fluid level today and as I wiped the dipstick on a paper towel a few times, this crap appeared: http://dl.dropbox.co...12/DSC09395.JPG

Transmission details:

2001.5 Pathfinder, 131.8k miles

RE4R01A-HD

B&M 70268 transmission cooler (19k GVW IIRC) plumbed in-line with the stock cooler

Magnefine in-line transmission filter, in use for around 13k miles

Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF + 1 10oz. bottle of Lubegard Red

Fluid was completely exchanged with Castrol Import Multi Vehicle on 10/31/2011 and a pan drop & filter change was done at the beginning of that year.

The debris on the paper towel almost looks like it's from the sides of the transmission dipstick itself, based on the way it left debris on the towel. Why would there be a significant quantity of debris on the dipstick? The fluid is recent and still looks & smells fine, and the Magnefine should catch nearly all ferrous particles even if it were in bypass and much of the non-ferrous stuff assuming the filtering media isn't clogged or in bypass. Shifting feels fine, fluid level is spot on.

Ideas?

Looks normal too me. If you dropped your pan you should have seen the clutch pack shavings in it.

Are you talking about that greenish spot on the left or the dirty/brownish fluid on the bottom?

I dont know about r50s but I know a lot of car and atv dip sticks are maganatized to collect shavings so that maybe why its collecting more on the dip stick.

Besides that I dont have a 100 percent answer for you.

All the brown crud. I've never seen that before when wiping the transmission dipstick. I don't know if the dipstick is magnetized. Although that gray/greenish spot is suspect as well, now that you point it out. The fluid wiped on the paper towel is difficult to see; it's very clear red.

Edited by Towncivilian