Floaty Steering

My '01 experienced the same "floaty" feel, which required an adjustment of the steering box preload. The FSM has instructions on how to make this adjustment. Oddly only my '01 required this adjustment and not my 97 that had amost double the mileage.

If all of your steering components, i.e. steering rack bushings, tie rod ends etc are in good condition, this may be something to look at.

J.

Also check your steering gear mounting insulators. One of them is located directly under the oil filter, and after prolonged exposure to oil (during filter replacement), it deteriorates and the whole gear assembly starts moving laterally.

capturejds.jpg

To change the isolator the rack has to be removed from the chassis. Can this be done with out raising the front wheels off of the ground? Im going to have to replace my rack this summer. :thumbdown:

To change the isolator the rack has to be removed from the chassis. Can this be done with out raising the front wheels off of the ground? Im going to have to replace my rack this summer. :thumbdown:

You don't need to remove the rack to change the insulators. Just remove the two mounting brackets, and you can get them out. I raised my front when I changed mine, but I don't see why you would necessarily have to, as long as you have enough room under there to get the brackets off. Also, I don't remember if that's how I did it, but the brackets should probably be removed one at a time so the gear assembly doesn't move off center. Below are tightening specs (for my '96).

capturezy.jpg

Edited by ltsnotme

hmm good info, definetly something to look at. Giving my pathy a small make over this summer, Ac Lift, strut spacers, 32's, new release bearing, new upgraded clutch, load warrior roofbasket, new brakes all around, new fluids everywhere and fix my damn floaty steering.