Rear Axle Question

brix542

I've had this pathy since last September(last one wrecked to friends stupidy.) and every since I've driven it there is a clicking/clunking sound coming from the rear axle when i am going slow and turn in both drive and reverse. It may do it at all speed but i haven't noticed it over 20 mph. Also when i hit the gas in dirt or gravel or brake stand on pavement both rear tires spin. I've looked and cannot find the orange LSD sticker on the rear differential. I don't know much about this truck cept what I've found out since buying it cause the previous owner didn't have much info about it. Is it possible that a previous owner put a locker in the rear axle? Or is the sounds I'm hearing is just the rear differential grinding and about to go bad? Any help is appreciated.

It sounds to me like you have a Lock Right in the rear end. It could be a Detroit locker but from what other people have said it sounds to me like you have a Lock Right...Congratulations!! Perhaps one of the previous owners saved you a $300 upgrade that will make it really awesome off road!

I hope so. I know it's either a locker or LSD going bad. It isn't an open dif tho. Itl go places in 2wd that my old pathy with a open dif struggled in 4 high

Jack up both rear tires and put some stands under it. Leave the truck in gear so the drive shaft doesn't turn. If you have a lockright when you try to turn one wheel it shouldn’t turn. Hold one wheel with tension in the forward direction and the other wheel should turn towards the rear direction with clicking. Then hold the other wheel in the rear direction and the opposite should turn in the forward direction with clicking. It's easier to show than explain how to test it. I saw a video back when I installed mine.

James