VG30i throttle body

thndrwhls

Hey guys, I just bought an 89 pathy with only 60000 miles. She ran ok a bit of a dog really but I could not get her through inspection. Took her to a local mechanic who diagnosed the Cat as the problem and wanted 300 to replace it. Being the guy I am I shopped and found I could replace the cat and the muffler for that so I did, carsound high flow cat and and 18" Magnaflow she sounds good but still didnt pass inpection. Took her to the dealer and they are telling me O2 sensor, ok fare enough but they also said I need to replace my throttle body altogether at $1650.

Does anyone know of where I can get a resonanly priced replacement? And are there any performance throttle bodies on the market or can I replace it with Fuel injection with out haveing a plethura of computer issues?

Help!!!

Were they more specific about the throttle body? Did they mean you need new injectors or something? Maybe the throttle position sensor or the air flow meter?

Maybe all that stuff and labor would be 1650...? The throttle body casting by itself would be hard to break.

You need to check your ECU for error codes. Check in the sticky threads at the top of the garage forum for more details. It is easy. I ripped the black plastic cover off without taking the passenger seat.

My smog problem was fixed by putting the proper sized resistor in my faulty cyl. head sensor harness connector since the sensor is a MOFO to get to.

I passed, but it close. Keep in mind I passed with the AIV system (I have a cali model) disconnected, one (of two) slightly dirty injector (you can see drops of gas hit the throttle butterfly at idle, while the other injector creates a nice mist), and original cat. My EGR system is operational.

Also, check all the 1/4" vacuum hoses for leaks and cracks.

The main thing for smog is to make sure the ECU can get into closed loop operation. Put the ECU into diag. mode 1 and 2 and check the feedback.

My bad cyl. head sensor didn't allow the ECU to get into closed loop mode (closed loop is where the ECU controls the air/fuel mixure), instead I was running rich at all time as indicated by the red ECU light being on all the time in ECU diag. mode 2.

In mode two you should see the red and green lights flash at the same time.. this means the mixture ratio is good. Red, of course, means 5% or more rich, and the green light only means at least 5% lean.

I think this is correct, but I am going from memory. Check the sticky's.

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the advice guys, I spoke to the service writer at Nissa again, he says that there is a gasket with a heating element in it and it is not working, therefore the throtle body housing will warp. I dunno, I thought it was jsut to heat the air coming in the throttle body for the MAS. Any advice here would be helpfull. Thanks...

I'm taking it tonight to a friend of my cousin who has worked on Nissans and Infinitys for 16 years.

Would the O2 sensor alone make it respond funny when you apply the gas? Sometimes it just does nothing when I press the peddle, I have to back off and try again very slowly.

Also I am going to have to replace the exhaust manifold bolts, so, since I am going to this trouble now should I go ahead and install headers? Its an 89 4x4 vg30i automatic, what problems are there when installing headers in a truck with an auto transmission?

The throttle position sensor would do that to you...

Headers will be a nice improvement over stock manifolds, for sure. You'll get more HP and better sound. ;) From what I've been hearing from more and more people, headers fit allright with an auto tranny. The crossover pipe might hang a little low, but apparently they fit OK.

Great, thanks...

I jsut had the oil changed and they told me that the trans looked really good, the fluid was still pink so it had either been serviced recently or had been taken exceptional well care of. Which I believe the later...

For an 89, it is in good shape, the only rust on the whole thing is at the bottom hinge of the tire carrier and a big hole in the left front wheel well, caused I guess from the (I cant remember what its called) thing right above it.

I will get some pics soon to post, I plan on adding things slowly as I dont have much money right now but headers are first on my list, and perhaps I will try to polish the throttle body per L&P. Granted they pick up there customer service a little bit. sssh