Getting VG33 heads

ImportDoc

Got a 95 finder, putting pace setter headers and removing the vg30 heads to install 33 heads. What else is requiried? Do i use all my stock manifold stuff or do i use off the vg33?

appreciate any help given

you will need to drill out your bolt holes on your headers to get them to fit over the 10mm studs I would make sure your have a little slack in there for expansion and cooling. I think you will need to notch out one of the water channels to get them to line up properly.

The intake manifold I would use off the vg33 I think it is a little larger but don't quote me on that.

Edited by ejin4499

I think you need a matching VG33 block for your VG33 heads. :lol:

Something tells me the cooling holes might be slightly off.

I hope not.....going to the junkyard on monday to rip the heads off.

Do some research on the subject, there's a lot of info out there. I think the cooling jackets need to be modified and something else... it's not a direct bolt on.

It would be easier and make a lot more sense to drill out the stock heads for the 10MM studs, especialy since you'd need to swap the VG30 cams in to the VG33 heads and drill coolant passages.

Edited by Kingman

Hell if the whole engine is there just grab the whole thing swap your accessory brackets from the 30 to the 33 with a new water pump swap your crank and cams and your set. almost all that work is just ratchet wrenching.

• 2 months later...

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1298/project-pathfinder-part-10-how-to-build-the-nissan-vg30e.aspx

This article explains putting VG30 heads on a VG33 block but it shows you how to check the passages with the head gaskets.

James

Edited by JamesRich

I think you need a matching VG33 block for your VG33 heads. :lol:

Something tells me the cooling holes might be slightly off.

Lay the 3.0 gasket on the 3.3 head and mark where the water/oil ports mismatch and then open up to you marks with a dremel and all will be fine. Lots of people do it this way including the guys on Moto IQ (project pathfinder)

Check the holes on the headers, you want 11mm holes for the 10mm studs. (7/16" drill will do nicely)

you will need to drill out your bolt holes on your headers to get them to fit over the 10mm studs I would make sure your have a little slack in there for expansion and cooling. I think you will need to notch out one of the water channels to get them to line up properly.

The intake manifold I would use off the vg33 I think it is a little larger but don't quote me on that.

use the pathfinder manifold, keeps things simple. The 3.3 manifold has no place to mount your ignition components and has different idle controls and cold idle controls that are prone to dripping coolant on your headers and cracking them.

Simply Put, the 3.3 manifold provides no benefit and only makes things complicated if you try and put it in a wd21.

I had 3.3 and 3.0 manifolds side by side at Davids house when I was doing my MPFI swap.

Edited by MY1PATH