Whining noise

Scott.T

My pathfinder makes a whining noise in all gears but 4th. It sounds like the whining noise when a vehicle is driving in reverse. The truck drives great and shifts great it just makes that noise. Any ideas out there of what it could be? It is a manual trans. Thanks

I checked the fluid level in it and it was good. Im going to change all the fluids in the truck though when I get home. The previous owner said it was like that the whole time he owned it. Someone else told me it could be the throwout bearing. My father in law told me that he had an older toyota pickup that did the same thing and he drove it like that for years with no issues. He said it could be because the bearings are wearing. It does have 208k miles so it wouldnt be a huge surprise if the trans will need a rebuild in the future though I hope it holds out for a while. I will just drive it though until it goes I guess. I have heard something before about over filling the trans, I dont know how to do it, but I heard that it was only good to do on the automatic trans. Do you guys recommend any trans fluid additives like lucas or anything? Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Scott.T

You didn't read the link, did you?

The pre 1995 Nissan manual tranny wants 5.1 liters of GL-4 ONLY (Redline MT-90 is a good substitute). Lucas is ok for the gear boxes and you 'overfill' through the shifter hole.

B

Thanks for that. I didnt realize that the link icon was an actual link lol. There is some great info in there. As soon as I get back home in a couple months I will be changing out all of the fluids. I will buy some redline mt90 online so it will be there when i get home. I know that my tranny was not over filled because when I heard the whining the first thing I checked was the trans fluid thinking that maybe it was low, it was level with the fill hole. Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Ok, no problem. I wasn't trying to be snarky, I didn't understand that you didn't understand, the link that is... ;)

B

my 5spd manual has 260,000 miles on it now and I run Redline MT90. I've never overfilled it and never had any problems. Not the fastest shifting manual but given the age and mileage it's still doing just

fine in my book. Red Line is good stuff.

-Chris

I have heard something before about over filling the trans, I dont know how to do it, but I heard that it was only good to do on the automatic trans. Do you guys recommend any trans fluid additives like lucas or anything?

over filling is only good to do on an automatic transmission? now...that's something you DON'T want to do.

That also goes for Lucas products.

Edited by 1994SEV6

NTB97-009a says the affected vehicles are:

• 1987-1995 Pathfinder (WD21) 4WD only
    1986.5-1995 Truck (D21) 4WD only

I think you meant pre-1996?

Also, what's the point of running Lucas in a gearbox?

I think many people are misunderstanding the overfilling thing...doesn't it say you need to overfill the tranny AFTER replacing the transmission case with the new countermeasure tranny case? just wondering. I don't over fill mine because it's never had the whining issue.