Help ! P1445

Abbypathy

I have had it. I have gone through a total of 4 EVAP Cannister Purge Volume Control Valve. These have all been used parts from the auto worker. Some failed right away and others failed a month later. Which then causes the MIL light to go on. Code reader shows DTC P1445.

When I first install the valve it works perfect. I can cycle the ignition switch from the OFF to RUN and I can hear the valve operating. When I go to run I can hear the valve close and when I turn it off I can hear it open. But soon after doing this maybe 10 times or maybe 20 times it stops working. It gets stuck in the partial open position. I can take the valve apart push the valve open all the way and then it will work for again 10 or 20 times.

I am totally stumped. What are the chances of having 4 known to be working valves fail on me soon after installing.

Is there something else I should be looking at? Maybe some hidden issue with the ECM? Does anyone have any ideas? Really could use one or two!

Thanks

Edited by Abbypathy

I could be wrong but it could be bad canister, if I am remembering the code correctly. The canister is back by the gas filler,if it fails the charcoal breaks up and get in the lines. Check of charcoal particles in your vacuum hoses that lead to the valve.

Check this post: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11442&st=0&p=521246&hl=evap%20canister&fromsearch=1entry521246

Edited by rgallant

I checked the lines a while back for signs of charcoal. It was by no means a thorough one. I have kind of suspected the charcoal cannister as questionable condition.

Years ago I drove it in a river :stickwack: (I thought it was fun, passenger didn't though :shrug: ) . It was flooded up to the top of the dash board. Almost garantee the EVAP Cannister filled with water but never took it off and inspected it.

Thanks for the idea.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Well I pressure tested and vacum tested the EVAP system. Found out the EVAP vent control valve on the EVAP Canister is leaking, replaced all vacum lines in the system. Next step is to isolate the fuel tank and test it for any leaks. No sign of charcoal though any where in the lines. I still cant find a cause for the purge volume control valve to fail one after another.

Anyone heard of this problem? Or have any more ideas? My pathy is of the road because of it now for 3 months. Starting to go into 4x4 ing withdrawals.

See this thread on NICO about P1444 (which is the same as your P1445): http://forums.nicoclub.com/p1444-code-and-poor-man-fix-t441648.html

Although the OP had visible charcoal and you don't seem to, you might want to place a similar filter in-line after you fix the problem which may help prevent another valve from kicking the bucket. Just a thought.

See this thread on NICO about P1444 (which is the same as your P1445): http://forums.nicocl...ix-t441648.html

Although the OP had visible charcoal and you don't seem to, you might want to place a similar filter in-line after you fix the problem which may help prevent another valve from kicking the bucket. Just a thought.

Interesting idea. I like it. Going to do the same. While I have no proof charcoal is getting out of the cannister. It could be such a small unnoticable amount but just enought to jam the purge volume control valve. It does always fail in the open position.

• 1 month later...

I just put a fuel filter in the vacum line for the EVAP system. Just after this I noticed some back liquid coming from the end running from the valve that keeps jamming up. So clearly the vacum line needs to be cleaned otherwise the valve is just going to keep jamming up. Can't say whether this will finally stop the DTC from showing. Thinking I am close to solving it.