engine noise

918pathy

I have a friend that put rebuilt a chevy 350 and put it his truck, and now it wont idle and it has a loud "rattle" and a "ping" type sound, when you try to start it. When it is started and you give it gas the noise goes away. Could it be a rocker arm , lifet or a bad rod :scratchhead: Iam sorry guys I know its not a Nissan,but I know there are some experts on here...Please could someone help my friend?? The noise sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the engine

Sorry, but that's not much info at all. Just a "rattle" and "ping" noise isn't much.

Does it come back if you let off the gas? Does it run fine other wise? When you give it gas, you probably can't hear it because of the fan and exhaust.

It could be rod knock, lifter tap, water pump, something in the exhaust (like the vg30e exhaust manifold issue), something in the starter motor, loose bolt on the flywheel, any of the accessories

It could really be anything. 10 minutes of listening in various places and experimenting will rule out 95% of what it could be.

it does come back when you take your foot off the gas, and it does not run fine otherwise. The sound sounds like it is coming from the oil pan if that helps a little bit more.

If it's an auto trans, a cracked flex plate will make an awful pinging and popping noise when cranking and idling but will quiet down when you rev it. It will have nothing to do with how it runs though. Could be two unrelated issues.

James

Have you double checked timing? If the timing is retarded too much, it could cause all kinds of things to go funky. Can you take a video of it? If you are thinking its a rod bearing or something, you could do a power balance test(disconnect a plug wire while its running one by one) and see if the noise goes away. This would tell you that a perticular cylinder is the issue. If it doesnt change, then you can keep looking for other noises. Oh, it doesnt have a aftermarket oil pan on it does it? I have seen the wrong pan installed and the crank will contact the windage tray.

I guess he got it fixed, he did not tighten down his crank shaft pulley. He found it was loose, I have not talked to him in a day, so hopefully that was all it was.....Or he just got pi$$ed off and blew the truck up.

Have you double checked timing? If the timing is retarded too much, it could cause all kinds of things to go funky. Can you take a video of it? If you are thinking its a rod bearing or something, you could do a power balance test(disconnect a plug wire while its running one by one) and see if the noise goes away. This would tell you that a perticular cylinder is the issue. If it doesnt change, then you can keep looking for other noises. Oh, it doesnt have a aftermarket oil pan on it does it? I have seen the wrong pan installed and the crank will contact the windage tray.

I was going with this one, but the other way.

it wont idle and it has a loud "rattle" and a "ping" type sound, when you try to start it. When it is started and you give it gas the noise goes away.

Pinging as in the timing is too advanced (stuck in an advanced position?) and as you increase the RPM, the pinging dies down due to the timing being closer?

Loose pulley wasn't on the guess list.

B