Can You Talk Me Out Of This Purchase?

OfftourRoadie96

I'm in dyer need of a new muffler and really want to go aftermarket. I'm tired of buying cheap mufflers lasting only a year before rusting out! I think I'm going with a 2.25" at the dual end & 2.50" at the Single End. I want to keep my existing stock set-up. I have a 3.3L engine. Im under the impression that MagnaFlow is a Reversible muffler??? Will I need adapters and/or hangers that need to be welded on? Is there a problem with the 2.5" output going back down to the smaller dia. Stock Pipe? I'm ready to make this purchase NOW, but wanted to run this by the FOURUM first.

Heres the link to the muffler in question ....No, I'm buying it on Amazone (not paying $200)MagnaFlow 12580

daa76f2f.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Yes, that muffler is reversible.

Yes, you will need adapters if you don't have a 2.25" or a 2.50" pipe depending on how you want to install it.

No, there should not be a problem with accepting 2x 2.25" and going out with 2.50".

Yes, you can use this muffler to eliminate the entire Y-pipe if you have one. I think R50s already use a dual in single out muffler that eliminates the need to use a Y-pipe.

If you want a glass pack, that Magnaflow is definitely better than Cherry Bomb.

You can also use that muffler as a pre-muffler and then add another 2.50" in/out muffler for more quietness.

Good luck with your purchase! :aok:

Edited by Tungsten

Do it. i have a similar muffler (mines 18" long instead of 22", i think haha) Yes they are reversible.

It sounds so much better then stock. Also ditched the resonator. My muffler man made adapters to go from smaller diameter to larger diameter.

Installed in 2007 and still looks good. Also went with stainless from the muffler back.

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

I found another MagnaFlow, it has dual 2" and single 2.25". I wanna run single exhaust. Would this be closer to stock? Would I still need adapters?

It's from Summit, Magna Flow 11148

And this, not sure the difference? MagnaFlow 12148

They are exactly the same but that first one is a slimmer muffler so I'm guessing it has less packing and is therefore louder. I have no idea what the stock diameter pipe on your truck is. If you have 2" down pipes then definitely go with that first or second one depending on how much space you have and/or how loud you want it to be.

This is the Magnaflow muffler my younger brother had on his rig. Dual inlet, single outlet with a split tip. Please, dont mind the wheels(they got removed for 22's!). He had if for 4 years after that was installed and it was holding up very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all this, I've decided to go with.....NONE OF THE ABOVE....... I decided to crawl underneath with a tape measure, and decide to go with a MAGNAFLOW 12280. It was the closest to the stock size. I plan to stick with single exhaust, Magnaflow Mufflers are Bi-Directional. For me, I wasn't too worried about sound, as much as not rusting off in a year. It's a stainless steel muffler. Eventually, I'd like to replace the rest of the exhaust with stainless.

c3d647d6.jpg

I purchased it from wUnderCarParts.com for $79.00 + Free Shipping. I wonder if I could have asked even lower? Most other places had it for $98.00. I clicked the name your price button, and I thought $79 was fair and they emailed me saying they've accepted my offer! Should arrive early next week, I'll post pics / video after its installed.

I had a magnaflow dual in single out on my 3.5 and it sounded great

If youre not going to upgrade your piping to stainless though, a magnaflow stainless muffler may be overkill, you can get similar for very cheap

I'm getting ready to have a Magnaflow 12580 installed on mine today. I'm hoping it is not too much louder. I'm getting older now so I like more quiet in the cabin than loud. Keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. Did have to cut off the front two heat shields the other day because they started rattling. I'm putting the Magnaflow on in hopes of a little better fuel economy along with the K&N filter and weight reduction I took off it. I got my 12580 from AdvanceAuto for $80 and the install is only costing me $40.

Update 02/25/2012.....Got the Magnaflow installed today and to my surprise I hear no sound difference in the cabin under all RPM's compared to the stock muffler. Have not put my ear by the tailpipe to see if I hear any difference there. But at idle in the garage with the windows down it does not sound any different either.

Edited by lzrj

• 3 months later...